Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by lemmeV 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrey.

Author Posts
December 4, 2016 at 2:23 am #1150758

danielF-13

Can you please pass word on to the developers that they should scrub all traces of GIT from future releases?

I recently spent nearly two hours trying to figure out why my site was failing after pushing my development to GIT and then cloning the repository on staging. It turns out the problem was some .git files buried inside sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/commons/

For any WordPress developers who use git as part of their development workflow, this causes problems when committing. Git did not report to me that it found existing repositories within my site, it simply omitted the sub-folders containing .git folders and I had to dig thru logs and the folders to figure out what was wrong.

Thank you!

December 5, 2016 at 11:19 am #1151367

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble with this!

The issue has been reported to our developers already. It will be handled.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

December 5, 2016 at 1:57 pm #1151567

ericL-2

Hi,
So this is how to fix it, you will need to remote git and gitignore files.
Then these steps:
git rm -rf --cached wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/commons/

git add wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/commons/

Regards

December 5, 2016 at 3:23 pm #1151698

Andrey
Supporter

@ericl-2, you just need go to needed folders and try to remove a .git folder (in wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/commons/), then try it again. You might also check for other such folders in WPML plugin and remove them, if you get related issue.

December 5, 2016 at 5:44 pm #1151866

danielF-13

Yeah, once I realized what was going on, it was easy enough to strip out all of the git folders and ignore files. I mostly reported this so that you can prevent these from being included in future updates and save other devs who use GIT the trouble of manually removing these.

December 6, 2016 at 6:44 am #1152188

Andrey
Supporter

Sorry for the inconvenience, it'll be handled with the next release.

December 6, 2016 at 10:14 am #1152413

janH-16

When is the new release coming up? This really bothers me as well..

December 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm #1156929

charalambosP

I second that! It broke my deployment and I manually need to remove every trace of git in every WPML update!

January 27, 2017 at 10:03 am #1192173

lemmeV

This took a fair bit of time to debug for me too. Waiting for a fix aswell.