This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.13 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I'm trying to activate the plugin but I get this error:

Plugin could not be activated
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'class' (T_CLASS), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or '{' or '$' in /home2/demna/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions.php on line 810

Solution:
Please make sure that you're using at least PHP 5.6.20. This type of error usually triggered when using PHP 5.4. Please update it to 5.6.20 or later and let me know how it goes?

Relevant Documentation:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by yousefA-11 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Noman.

Author Posts
August 4, 2019 at 9:13 am #4335967

yousefA-11

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm trying to activate the plugin but I get the below error:

Plugin could not be activated
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'class' (T_CLASS), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or '{' or '$' in /home2/demna/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions.php on line 810

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Yes, WPML website.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
N/A

What is the link to your site?
hidden link
My theme is compatable with WPML actually it is in their documentation mentioning that I have to purchase WPML in order to have multi-language feature.

Kindly advise.

August 4, 2019 at 9:45 am #4336003

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Could you please make sure that you're using at least PHP 5.6.20: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/.

This type of error usually triggered when using PHP 5.4. Please update it to 5.6.20 or later and let me know how it goes?

Thank you

August 4, 2019 at 10:42 am #4336137

yousefA-11

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!