Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Activate WPML and I get this issue:

Fatal error: Class WPML_Term_Translation contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (WPML_Element_Translation::get_type_prefix) in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/plugins/1sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/taxonomy-term-translation/wpml-term-translation.class.php on line 13

Solution:
Following these steps would resolve the issue:

1. Use FTP, go to wp-content/plugins.
2. Delete all WPML plugin folders.
3. Download the latest versions from https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ and re-install them.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by annaK-12 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
December 27, 2016 at 4:11 am #1168660

annaK-12

I can't switch on the plugin and I receive this as an answer: Fatal error: Class WPML_Term_Translation contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (WPML_Element_Translation::get_type_prefix) in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/plugins/1sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/taxonomy-term-translation/wpml-term-translation.class.php on line 13

What should I do? Why is it happening?

December 27, 2016 at 7:49 am #1168740

Dat Hoang

#1,
Can you please disable all WPML plugins, then enable them again? Does that help?

#2,
If you disable all non-related WPML plugins, switch to one of default themes, the problem persists or not?
NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!).

#3, Debugging
1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/ .
2. Repeat the action of creating the problem.
3. Copy and paste the contents of debug.log (log file inside the /wp-content/ directory) here for me to see.

January 5, 2017 at 4:19 am #1174915

annaK-12

#1 - The switching off did not help. Still says that plugin caused a fatal error.
#2 - when I deactivated all plugins and switched to a default theme nothing was resolved. Still can't switch on the plugin and it gives an error.
#3 I don't know where to find all of those config files etc. Should I ask my hosting provider?

January 5, 2017 at 5:21 am #1174931

annaK-12

[05-Jan-2017 05:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 86
[05-Jan-2017 05:11:19 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 86
[05-Jan-2017 05:12:15 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 86
[05-Jan-2017 05:12:22 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 86
[05-Jan-2017 05:12:48 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home4/alluarec/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 86

This is what I have

January 5, 2017 at 9:01 am #1175050

Dat Hoang

It looks like there is an issue about the permission on your site.
Please try to remove all WPML plugins, then re-install them. Does that help?

If not, I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

This info is private and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

January 9, 2017 at 9:19 am #1177120

Dat Hoang

Can you please check your site?
I can see the same issue. However, when I go to wp-admin -> Plugins, I don't see any sign of any WPML plugin?

What's wrong on your site with this?

January 9, 2017 at 10:02 am #1177176

annaK-12

Well, thats exactly what I'm saying. I deleted the plugin from admin panel like I always do with other plugins. However, it didn't delete from my hosting provider c-panel. Should I delete the folders manually from there too? I'm afraid that this way I will loose all my articles that I wrote using your plugin. Isn't it?

January 10, 2017 at 5:10 am #1178064

Dat Hoang

No problem with your site data (or your posts with our plugin).

I suggest doing these:
1. Clean your site directories. I see a lot of folders like "plugins1", "plugins-disable"... and many others. I think it would be better to run backups for your site rather than leaving these stuffs on your site directory.

2. Check the permissions of these files. If you're not sure about these, I suggest contacting with your hosting provider.

January 12, 2017 at 7:08 am #1180200

annaK-12

Everything is done. Can you check now? What should I do next?

January 12, 2017 at 8:51 am #1180303

Dat Hoang

It looks like everything is OK now.

I can upload the plugin and it's working fine.

To do that, I needed to move the current WPML plugin folder to /public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms__

Please use FTP and delete this folder.

January 17, 2017 at 3:34 am #1183450

annaK-12

Everything is working now. Thanks for your detailed support.