Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nuriG 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 3, 2019 at 8:12 pm #4691217

nuriG

WPML Plugin shows me that there are some string to translate in my theme, but it shows them at parent level instead of child level. How can I fix this please?

October 3, 2019 at 10:31 pm #4691647

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

WPML String Translation uses a gettext call to register any strings that are wrapped around it. A part of that call is a text-domain, which is essentially registered at the parent level.

This is OK and expected behavior, and it does not interfere with your translation process.

October 4, 2019 at 7:34 am #4693381

nuriG

So if the strings are on parent level, do you guarantee 100% that my custom translations in this parent line will be safe from being erased in case of update of the plugin?

This is very important for me. I do NOT want to lose my custom translations, since they are on parent level here.

October 4, 2019 at 5:46 pm #4698005

Bobby
Supporter

Yes, because the translations are saved in the database and not the plugin. Therefore an update or even removal of WPML should not remove your translations unless you drop the WPML database tables.

The Child Theme requires the Parent theme in order to work, therefore it is safe to proceed.

October 6, 2019 at 3:39 pm #4702725

nuriG

I got your point, but assume the following case.

I used to work with Loco Translate. I took all my translations into a file, which I then imported in WPML. Therefore, the initial values from the theme have been erased by my own values which now became the "original values".

If I update my theme, those new "original values" will revert to the theme real original values. Therefore, I'd lose my translations again. Can you confirm whether this situation is real or it would happen that way?

October 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm #4709817

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

If I understand correctly you have imported a .po file using WPML, correct?

Or did you upload a custom .mo file within your theme directory manually?

If you did import the .po file using WPML then this is fine and a theme update should not change your translations as they were imported using WPML.

October 8, 2019 at 10:30 am #4714239

nuriG

Yes I imported a .po file in WPML.

I don't know how to manually upload a .mo file in the directory, so I assume I didn't use this option.

October 8, 2019 at 5:16 pm #4717319

Bobby
Supporter

That is the preferred way, to import a .po file.

I don't believe there is going to be an issue there if you update your theme if you wish we can create a staging environment where you can test this, I will activate the private reply in the next reply in order to share your wp-admin details for me to create a staging site.

October 21, 2019 at 10:10 am #4793173

nuriG

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!