This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by martinoB-3 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Minesh.

Author Posts
September 5, 2014 at 4:35 am #464198

Pieter

Not entirely sure (yet) whether it is a bug, but it looks that way.

Latest versions of everything WP 4.0 and WPML 3.1.7.2 and all the rest as I'm sure you can see from the debug info.

I cannot tell when this happened exactly as I haven't really looked at the site in a while, I only noticed it last night when upgrading to WP 4.0: the language switcher I had added to the menu was no longer there.

In the setup nothing has changed, menu exists in both languages and are linked together (Dutch menu is translation of English menu)

While trying to play around with it just now I noticed that when I added the

'menu_id'

parameter to the

wp_nav_menu();

call, the languages simply vanished.

Removing the

'menu_id'

parameter from the

wp_nav_menu();

call, the languages switcher miraculously appeared again.

I tried adding weird names unrelated to the navigation menus as

'menu_id'

, but that didn't matter. As long as that parameter is added to the

wp_nav_menu();

call, the language switcher does not show.

I have solved my problem, by simply removing the parameter and using other parameters, but it is weird and it should not happen I think as before it has worked perfectly fine (for a few years already I might add).

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Cheers,
Piet

September 5, 2014 at 6:10 am #464221

Minesh
Supporter

We have two another 2-3 tickets with same issue , can you please help us by sharing temporary access to your install so we can be able to investigate this issue closely.

***Please take FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***

In order to investigate your issue if you like I could check things on your install in order to see what could be going wrong there.

Can you please grant us permission to disable/enable plugins, switching themes?

If you agree to this please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP)?

I have already enabled next reply as private.

September 5, 2014 at 8:01 am #464311

Pieter

Well then it's not a possible bug, but an outright bug indeed 🙂

Sorry cannot give you access as it is a live client site. Quite easy to reproduce though I think:

- default install
- add a menu
- add language switcher to menu
- call the menu as wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'primary' ) );
- check if this works
- now add 'menu_id' => 'wpml_test_bug' to the array
- check your menu on the frontend and you will see that the language switcher has disappeared.

September 5, 2014 at 11:18 am #464481

Minesh
Supporter

We have reported your issue to our development team and they are working on it. Please be patient and kindly wait for a fix for it or new release. We will update you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding!!

September 5, 2014 at 11:31 am #464497

Pieter

No worries, I have recoded the nav_menu for the client to not use the 'menu_id' parameter at all.

Hope you get it fixed soon!

September 6, 2014 at 7:53 pm #465087

BabaOo

I have the same issue with everything up to date: wp and plugins.

The language switcher in the WP Menu keeps going back to " --select-- " and therefore is not showing on the front end.

And unfortunately I can't recode stuff so do you have a fix for this ?

Thank you
Sophie

September 7, 2014 at 2:18 am #465120

Pieter

Why can't you recode the menu, Sophie? You want me to take a look at it?

September 7, 2014 at 4:31 am #465125

dongzhiY

I have the same issue. The language switcher just vanished after I upgrade to wp4.0 and wpml 3.1.7.2.
Attached is a screenshot of my settings/
Piet, would you mind sharing in which file I can modify wp_nav_menu()? I am pretty new to WP. Thanks!

September 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm #465198

Pieter

@dongzhiy it has nothing to do with your settings, it has to do with your theme and specifically how the call to the wp_nav_menu is constructed.

As far as I can tell as soon as the menu_id parameter is used in the wp_nav_menu call, then the problems start and by taking the parameter out of the equation immediately solves the problem.

So you need to have a look how your theme uses wp_nav_menu. That can be on any place where there are menus present or in the functions or functionality file. It all depends on the theme, really.

Now please don't get me wrong, the bug is within WPML, but the way to solve it for now (until a new WPML version comes out that fixes this bug) is to remove the menu_id parameter from the wp_nav_menu call in your theme.

September 7, 2014 at 6:51 pm #465253

BabaOo

Hi Piet, I don't code unless someone tells me specifically what to do, like for exemple : replace "this code" with "this one" in "functions.php" at around line 222....otherwise I don't risk it since I don't know exactly what I'm doing... yet 🙂

I can wait for WPML now because something weird happened in the meantime : when I selected in WPML/Language under "Language switcher widget" to show in the blog sidebar and FAQ, suddenly the switcher appears correctly everywhere ! Including in the main menu even though is isn't actually selected under : Language switcher in the WP Menu
– Display the language switcher in the WP Menu : " –select– "

hmm hmm maybe you can make sens of that hehe ….

But let's hope WPML fixes this soon !!

Sophie
ps: how can I get an avatar here....?!? can't find it anywhere in my account !

September 8, 2014 at 12:16 am #465314

Pieter

Sophie,
Cannot make sense of that, seems different issue.
Re your avatar, my best guess is that it is connected to your email address via gravatar.com

September 14, 2014 at 7:17 pm #470572

Leif-Erik

This thread shows resolved - but I have same problem... What is the solution? Even though the the box is ticked to show the language switcher in the WP menu it will not show on the live website

September 14, 2014 at 11:37 pm #470596

Pieter

It shows as resolved due to the fact that the issue is known and reported and will be fixed in the next release, see this reply: http://wpml.org/forums/topic/possible-bug-with-display-the-language-switcher-in-the-wp-menu/#post-464481

October 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm #495395

martinoB-3

Same problem, any news about update?...
Thanks