This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 2:07 pm #2791066

magnusS-9

Hi!

We are using elementor as our page builder and we are trying to have different content in our pages in different languages.

For example, the german version of the page needs to have different images and not all of the content that our english master does. We want to be able to modify both the text content but also overall layout in the page depending on language.

It works fine as long as i do not add another language by clicking on the "+" sign in the pages menu. I just tried to add another language on our home-page and the result was that all of the custom tweaks i previously did on the other languages was reverted back to look like the english master page in terms of images/layout. The translations is still in place though but all pages has got the same look.

Is it possible to mark the different language versions of my pages to not take effect from new translations? To make each page their own individual version would be my best explanation.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Emil Beris

October 8, 2018 at 3:33 pm #2796709

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I totally understand what you ask and yes, WPML also allows you to have different content per language.

Here is the main place where you have a lot of documentation available:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

You will see on the right sidebar that there are a lot of helpful links.

I think the links below will be very helpful for what you want to accomplish:

Please let me know if you managed to translate the page that you want or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your reply.

October 9, 2018 at 7:51 am #2798682

magnusS-9

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

I think that the setting "Create translations manually" did the trick! Just to clarify, does this mean that we should not use the translation management at all if we want different content in each language?

As soon as i edited some translations using the manager everything reverted back to look like the original post again and i guess that's the reason?

In my case, i have translated one page in four languages using the manager already, does this mean that it's no longer possible to mark them as "translate independently" like i can if i duplicate the page in a new language?

I followed the instructions in this link:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/translating-content-created-with-page-builders-using-manual-translation/

Thank you!

Regards,
Emil

October 10, 2018 at 5:51 pm #2805366

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'm glad that we are making progress.

In this case, I would use Translation Management just to duplicate the standard default language post in the languages that I want to translate it.

I will give you an example of how you can work with the Translation Management below in order to accomplish what you want.

Practically the key here is that you will need to get to the point where you click the "Translate independently" button so that you can interrupt any connection between the default language content and the other manual translations.

Here is how you can work with Translation Management to accomplish this:

1. Go to WPML -> Translation Management
2. Select the page that you want by checking the rounded box next to it
3. Scroll down and check the "Duplicate content" box for the language that you want to duplicate that page to
4. Click the blue "Duplicate" button
5. Now select the flag of the language you duplicated the page to from the top WordPress admin bar so that you can switch to that language
6. While you are still in the admin panel, go to Pages and under the title of the page you just duplicated click the first text link that's called "Edit"
7. Now the normal WordPress editor should open (you might see a notification window telling you "Warning: You are trying to edit a translation using the standard WordPress editor but your site is configured to use the WPML Translation Editor." > this will show if you are using the Classic Translation Editor so if this shows up, click on the "Edit anyway" button)
8. Now on the right side of the screen, at the top, you will see a section called "Language" that has a blue box displaying this information "This document is a duplicate of Test elementor page and it is maintained by WPML. WPML will no longer synchronize this page with the original content." (I am attaching a screenshot of this section, too)
9. Click "Translate independently", wait for the page to refresh and you might see again the "Edit anyway" window so click that button one more time

Now you should be all set up in using different versions of the original page having all the freedom you need to build different layouts or use other content structure.

Let me know how it goes and if this helped you accomplish what you needed or if you still need help.