This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
February 25, 2019 at 7:44 pm #3241780

jasonB-5

We have a site that will only have parts of the site translated. The site has pages that have deep hierarchy (grandchildren, great-grandchildren) and some of the children pages will have a translation, but their ancestor pages will not.

When I create a translation of a child page, I cannot set the parent page attribute to its default language counterpart's parent page. There are no available pages to set as the parent. I noticed that if I translate the parent page, the original child page shows that translated version as an option in the parent page attribute dropdown. But, I do not want to have a translated version of the parent page.

What I would like, is to be able to select the default language parent page for the translated child page. The reason for this is because I would like to maintain the same URL structure and breadcrumb path.

Is this possible? Is there a setting that I need to change?

Thank you,
Travis

February 26, 2019 at 1:08 pm #3244988

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Travis,

I understand what you'd like to do. However, I'm afraid that you cannot do this. You cannot combine pages (parent and child) from two different languages. Each page can be connected as a child only for the pages from the same language. You'd like to have just a part of the page (the child) be changed when selecting a different language. Unfortunately, this cannot be done (at least not using the plugin options). This kind of job would require some custom coding. If you want, I can only make some recommendations about somebody that might be able to help you.

Regards,
Radu

February 26, 2019 at 5:38 pm #3246558

jasonB-5

Hi Radu,

Thank you for the response. Is the problem that on the page editing screen, WPML will not include other language pages as selectable options in the page parent attribute? In other words, If I could somehow have all languages pages show up in that dropdown, do you think it could work? Or are there other technical issues if I even am able to set the parent page to a different language?

Thanks again!
Travis

February 27, 2019 at 8:36 am #3248938

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Travis,

I don't think that this would work, even if you'd have the pages in all the languages in the dropdown. As I said before, each translation is created separate and mixing things up is not a good idea at all. If you want, you can create a translation for the parent page (while keeping the same content for it) and use that as the parent for the translated child pages. Have you tried to do that? If you want to give this a try, here's an article where you can find how to duplicate a page: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Possible to set a page parent of a translated page to page in default language?’ is closed to new replies.