This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
November 29, 2017 at 2:04 pm #1444834

Moshe Harush

every couple of days the categories of the english posts are deleted from the post.
the posts are in hebrew and they are translated into english.
we also have a problem with the menu translation. some of the translated menu items disapear.

November 30, 2017 at 8:40 pm #1446365

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

This is weird, but I have too little information to say what might be the problem in your case.
I can only guess now that maybe it relates to caching issues.
Do you have a caching plugin site or use any caching method on your server?
If so, then please clear the cache from your site and see if the problem persists.
Other then that please also share your Debug information with me?
You can read a detailed explanation about it here.
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support
The debug info will give me a lot of information about how your site is configured and will help me understand the source of the problem.

Please could you provide me the additional info?

Thanks,
Itamar.

December 5, 2017 at 10:26 am #1449443

Moshe Harush

attached is the debug info, the problem still occurs, and its only in english posts

December 5, 2017 at 8:50 pm #1450247

Itamar
Supporter

Thank you for attaching the debug information.

I can see that you are using the W3 Total Cache plugin.
Have checked for caching issues?
Where can I see the problem on your site?
WordPress itself, as well as WPML and its add-ons, are slightly un-updated.
Could you update everything and check if it makes a difference?

Maybe we can also find a clue for this in the debug.log file.
Please provide me with the WordPress debug.log
Please check this page for instructions.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/
Look under the headline "Enabling the built-in debugging feature in WordPress".
To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);.

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
// Disable display of errors and warnings which is recommened on a live site.
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
@ini_set('display_errors',0);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.
If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link, it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess of discussion).

Please, could you provide me the additional Info?

Thanks,
Itamar.

December 6, 2017 at 7:58 am #1450456

Moshe Harush

we purge cache more then twice a day so I don't think its a cache issue.
in debug.log we only have this error:
[06-Dec-2017 07:33:08 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in functions.php on line 230

which I dont think is connected but I fixed it anyway.

we see the problem when we go to english posts and when we click on any post we see that the categories are not checked eventhough they are written in the post table as the categories of that post.
to solve the problem we need to go to quick edit of every single post and check the categories that we want.
it only occurs in the english posts, it does not occur in our default language and that is why I think it has something to do with wpml because of the category translation.

December 6, 2017 at 8:12 pm #1451214

Itamar
Supporter

Do you have the possibility to check if the issue persists in a minimum environment?
I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin.
If possible get your site into a minimum environment.
Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like TwentySeventeen and no plugins activated but WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to TwentySeventeen (for example).
If it persists then turn off all plugins but the WPML (leave WPML and its components active).
Then please check if the problem persists.
If it does not persists so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back.

Since the issue that you are describing happens randomly and as I understand can't be predicted. Obviously, you can not do it on the live site. So you'll need to check it on staging site or a snapshot of your site on another server.

If you want help with this, we can set up your site on our server and leave it on for a few day to track the issue. In this case, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

December 18, 2017 at 3:55 pm #1460521

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

Amit, our support manager, drew my attention to what looks like a similar known issue that we have. You can see a reference to it in this support ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/post-tags-are-lost-upon-save-tags-autocomplete-doesnt-work-as-it-should/page/2/#post-1448812. This issue is already fixed in the beta version of WPML 3.9 which you can get from here https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ (switch the channel to 'Beta'). Do you have the possibility to try this beta version on a staging site or a copy of your site and see if it solves the problem? You will also need to download and install our other RC add-ons to try this beta version. The beta version is in the testing stage, so it is not recommended to try it on a live site.

December 18, 2017 at 8:13 pm #1460778

Moshe Harush

in order to test the beta version of wpml we need to know how to trigger the problem in our dev env. we still can't figure out what triggers the problem so even if we upgrade wpml we will not know how to test it.

December 18, 2017 at 8:22 pm #1460782

Itamar
Supporter

I see.

In your initial post, you wrote: "every couple of days the categories of the english posts are deleted from the post." and also "...we also have a problem with the menu translation. some of the translated menu items disapear."
So may I suggest to install the beta version of WPML on the dev site and wait a couple of days and see if the problem persists. Meanwhile, you can update the dev site with new posts that you update on the live site or do any other similar maintenance activity to see if anything triggers the problem. And of course, keep the debug.log on so you could track any errors.

December 19, 2017 at 7:07 am #1461021

Amit
Supporter

Hi Moshe,

Amit here, I am the WPML support manager.

I have just signed the Technion's non-disclosure agreement, we'd like to have a closer look at the site, Lior mentioned we can have git access, if that makes sense can you please add the details to the private comment I am deactivating?

Thanks!
Amit

December 19, 2017 at 8:00 am #1461047

Amit
Supporter

@moshe - would you be please able to create a duplicator package of the site using the WP Duplicator Plugin and share with us via some cloud service?

December 19, 2017 at 10:14 am #1461247

Itamar
Supporter

Hi @moshe.

I'm now escalating this issue to our second tier supporter.
As to Amit's request, please, provide us with the Duplicator package.

Best regards,
Itamar.

December 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm #1462606

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello! I am George and I am in charge of trying to help you with the problem that you are experiencing.
I have reproduced your site with the data that my colleagues have collected and I analysed the possibilities and tried to reproduce the problem.
First thing that I see, is that you are using some old versions of the WordPress and the plugins that you use. This might not be the exact problem, but since the incremental nature of all WordPress plugin fixes - I would recommend that you update to their latest versions. This is also valid for the WordPress core itself - and not only because of possible bugs, but from security point of view.
In my analysis I noticed that you are not actually linking the translations between languages - or at least you only have a handfull of pages/posts that are setup in that way - but not the majority of your posts.
This means that your translations are not actually translations - but originals.
Having said that, I noticed some issues in your database related to that.
Original posts have source_language_code === NULL in icl_translations table.
Most of your posts have that, but there are some that instead of NULL have BLANK (.e.g. - nothing ) set as a source language.
This is very big offence in the table and could be potentially responsible for your issues.
I would suggest that you set such entries to have NULL.
As far as I see that you have 15-16 entries like that - some related to posts, but also others related to menu items and categories.
Sounds pretty close for me to the issues that you are experiencing.
If you have any more information on how to reproduce the issue - I am here at your disposal.

July 21, 2019 at 2:21 pm #4252403

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I'm closing this forum ticket since there was no reply here for a long time.
If you need any help with WPML, please open a new ticket in our support forum, and we'll be happy to assist.

Best Regards,
Itamar.