Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by francoisB 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: abdallah.d.

Author Posts
August 14, 2015 at 2:45 am #679351

francoisB

I am trying to: Translate posts with post formats such as videos

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

I expected to see: that when I save the draft, the translated post and post format will be translated

Instead, I got:

When I create a post in English, in this case it is a video post format, then translate and save to French or German - it simply does not add the post format in the translation. Instead there is simply a new radio button with no text...

And where all the icons to select Default - Gallery - Image - Link - Video is showing as no selected as being selected after saving the post.

All my plugins are updated.

I tried to disable plugins and every other step...

Now when I look at WPML-Taxonomy Translations- and select Format, I can only see 3 post formats and they don't have a translation added...

August 14, 2015 at 12:19 pm #679709

abdallah.d
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Beirut (GMT+03:00)

Hi Francois,

Thanks for contacting WPML support.

Let's start by eliminating any compatibility issue with the theme you're using. Please switch back to a default theme (ie. twentyfifteen) and see if the problem remains.

Next, please describe the steps you take to reproduce the issue. The more details you give us, the better 🙂

Note that the video post format is part of the WordPress core string translation. So it should be already translated if you have downloaded those, or used WPML to automatically download them for you.
    You will see those posts in the language set in your WordPress admin.
    Please see https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/downloading-wordpress-translations/ for more information on how that's done.

Note that those post formats shouldn't be in the taxonomy translation panel. I suspect that there is something wrong with the way the formats are registered. Registering them manually is only needed when you're using custom post formats (not for 'video'). could you tell us how you did that if you're using custom formats?

Let us know if this resolves the problem for you. If not, we'll wait for your detailed description of the steps to reproduce the problem.

Thanks, Abdallah

August 16, 2015 at 2:57 am #680230

francoisB

Hello Abdallah,

Thank you for the information,

I am not using custom posts formats.

But unfortunately, and after following your instructions I still have the same problem.

And the formats still show up in taxonomy translations...

The steps to reproduce the problem are simple:

1- Click on 'create new post' - select video format - save
    2- Click on + translate to French - no need to select format of course - save
    3- result attached - an extra button shows up at the bottom of the format selection

I have a copy of the site where I test for updates and errors such as this. If you want, I am happy to give you the credentials to it and you can have a look.

August 17, 2015 at 6:35 am #680402

abdallah.d
    Supporter

Hi Francois,

Thanks for following up.
      I assume you already downloaded the core WordPress translation files and installed those. Did that make any difference?

I would like to take you up on your offer to send me your credentials for the test site so I can check the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

August 18, 2015 at 8:13 am #681222

abdallah.d
      Supporter

Hi again,

Could you please check if you have a wpml-config.xml file in your site with the post_format set to translatable
        (Hint: it should not be set to translatable).

Best, Abdallah

August 19, 2015 at 3:21 am #681953

francoisB

Hello Abdallah,

This morning I did the update of WPML and WP - it looks like that doing this solved the issue.

I looked in the wpml-config.xml file afterwards and could not fine post_format being set to translatable.

I am going through a few more sites to update, so far so good.

Thank you for your assistance.