This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 29, 2019 at 3:16 am #3699887

aaronR-10

Background information:

We started out with the site to add, edit and display WordPress posts (and pages, too). Works fine. We added a second language using WPML. Works fine. It turns out that the amount of work to translate each and every post exceeded expectations. Therefore the editors raised the following requirement.

Requirement:

Posts ought to default to one language in a multi-language setting in case of missing translations.

Example:

Post A is displayed in language #1. When switching to language #2 post A makes use of the existing translation and shows post contents in language #2.
Post B is displayed in language #1. When switching to language #2 there is no translation, therefore post B is still displayed in language #1 as this is the default language for the site.

Question:

Could you support us in implementing this requirement?

April 29, 2019 at 5:32 pm #3705853

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

I am not quiet sure if I understand your request.

For posts and pages that do not own a translation you can set the fallback option at WPML -> Settings -> Post type translation. This way always the default language post or page will be displayed if there is not any existing translation available.

Let me know if this answered your question.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 6, 2019 at 4:14 am #3744771

aaronR-10

Hello Andreas,

thank you for pointing out this setting. I was not aware of it, my bad. For posts in general it works like a charm.

For events (event manager pro plugin) however, it does not work yet. Events are a special kind of post. I changed the corresponding settings for "events" with no visible change. Still, events that are added with language #1 are not visible when switching to language #2.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction a second time?

Kind regards.

May 6, 2019 at 2:58 pm #3750207

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details
unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Post ought to default to one language in a multi-language setting’ is closed to new replies.