Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
September 25, 2020 at 3:04 pm #7101169

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have changed the status of a few pages from published to draft, but the translated pages remain published. I verified that in the settings the 'Document status' option is set to 'Same as the original document'

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

September 26, 2020 at 2:12 pm #7105991

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

Yes, we know the status is not synchronized. We are working for a solution, but for now the only solution is to change the status manually.

September 27, 2020 at 10:56 am #7108723

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Thanks.Will that be fixed in the next version?

September 29, 2020 at 9:38 am #7122047

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

sorry for waiting, we have a higher queue these days.

The sync of post status works but some certain cases are excluded, and one of them is from Publish to Draft.

WPML will not change the status of post/page from published to the draft. It is possible for some reason other clients just want to draft original post/page but not the translation then WPML can not silently unpublished already published posts.

The practical case is Draft to Published so WPML sync this action but not the Publish to Draft. WPML will never know whether it is just for one post or all the translations. Thus this is excluded.

You can manually draft the translation of post/page.

Similar tickets:
- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-sync-product-status/
- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/post-status-not-updating-for-translations/#post-2571581

If you think this would be a useful feature I invite you to suggest it via our "Suggest a new feature form":

- https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

We read all the feature requests we receive and consider each and every one of them.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

Regards,
Drazen

September 29, 2020 at 10:10 am #7122509

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Thank you for your reply. Very strange though. The WPML setting reads "Document status, Same as the original document". That implies that the status is always being synced regardless of the status.

I see with several of my clients that they want to take content offline, for example:
- a blogpost that is outdated
- an old portfolio project because the client left
- an hotel package, because it's no longer available
- restaurant menu items that are no longer available

You usually want to change the status to ensure the content doesn't get lost. You could delete the page - in which case wpml does delete all translations by the way - but that is permanent.

There is no logical explanation for changing the status of the original page/post to draft (ie taking it offline), while you want to keep the translations online. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I'll submit a feature request (although I see this more as an bug fix or enhancement then as a new feature).

Thanks
JP

September 29, 2020 at 1:50 pm #7125411

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi JP,

thanks for getting back.

I understand your concern, and the best I can do is advise you to submit a feature request via shared form.

For now, the only solution is to change the status manually. Use the language selector on the top bar to switch to the secondary language. After that, you can edit the status of the secondary language just as you do with the status of the original post.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

Regards,
Drazen

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.