This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 9:54 am #4134309

Walt

Hello

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: admin pages and post menu

I expected to see: fully translated text to Japanese

Instead, I got: Half translated text to English

July 3, 2019 at 10:54 am #4135103

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I have activated Japanese language on my local clean installation and I see all these fields being translated. I've also checked database and they seem to have been properly pulled into string translations.

Therefore, It is possible that all these have not been pulled on your site for some reason. Can you tell me if you tried finding these strings directly within the string translation table - WPML -> String Translation and translate them there? Do they show up in the Post editor then?

Have a look at the images I've uploaded.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 4, 2019 at 8:35 am #4141245

Walt

Hi,

Thank you for your message.
Not really sure when exactly the problem started but it was somewhere around the WPML version 4.6.3.

The issue I have only happened in the live environment for the website, the staging environment the WPML works perfectly making it even harder to track and fix the issue.

I had tried the string translation table - WPML -> String Translation but the text isn't showing on the string for translation table, so as you are guessing it for some reason these strings aren't pulled.

- I tried to update the .mo language files but got no result
- dumping the cache of WPML
- optimizing the database

None of these have any effect on the issue and since this is the live website I can't just start turning off plugins.

is there any other way that you could think of that will work? or could test?

Thank you
Walt

July 4, 2019 at 9:33 am #4141893

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

the staging environment the WPML works perfectly

Each them when I hear this conclusion, the only thing that comes to my mind is caching. There might be some server-side caching causing these strings not loading (or maybe CDN). Or maybe there is something that is blocking - or has blocked - new strings to be entered into the database, specifically into string translation translations table?
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#string-translation

What about this option?
WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> How to translate strings in themes and plugins?

Have you tried changing these settings?

Also, if you check within string translation -> Auto register strings for translation -> do you see any of these domains being registered here? Also have a look at the image - they all seem to be auto-registering by default, at least in my localhost installations.

I would also suggest that you check if these translations are to be found in database of the staging website, however, I assume that it is 1:1 copy so that database results should be the same for both. I have attached the results from my localhost installation - you can see how to find if these strings are indeed there. For example, "default-wp-edit-post" is the context I searched for.

Regards,
Bruno Kos