If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by lucM-5 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
May 5, 2019 at 2:49 pm #3743179

lucM-5

This question relates to thread https://wpml.org/forums/topic/redirect-issue-with-yoast-seo/

I noticed that with WPML 4.2.6, this solution no longer works because compatibility with Yoast SEO has been moved to a separate plugin. Can you provide me with precise instructions about where to enter the solution that was provided in the referenced thread?

May 6, 2019 at 9:53 am #3746625

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you provide me with precise instructions about where to enter the solution that was provided in the referenced thread?

I've asked our 2nd tier about this, whether this workaround can be integrated elsewhere, or you would need to wait until the fix for this is officially implemented into Yoast SEO Multilingual.

I will keep this thread updated as soon as I get any new information from them!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 7:19 am #3754721

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I've gotten a response from our 2nd tier - this code has been moved here:
Yoast SEO Multilingual plugin -> classes -> class-wpml-wpseo-redirection.php, around line 22.

Can you try the same code there?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 11:28 am #3757079

lucM-5

Hi Bruno,

I did that, but without any success. In fact, it seems that the new SEO compatibility plugin has significantly changed how Yoast SEO redirects are handled.

On the positive side: I no longer observe a difference of how URL with or without trailing slash are handled - for languages other than the website's "master" language (=English)

On the negative side: none of them seem to be working correctly anymore in the specific use case that I have. However, this may also be related to Yoast SEO. I still have the "old" WPML & Yoast SEO on production site (where everything is working fine with the fix that you provided a couple of months ago).

On staging, I updated both Yoast SEO & WPML to the latest available version - and here is the problem that I get for other languages than English:

USE SCENARIO

- old URL of type .../language/where-to-buy/country is 301 redirected Yoast to ..../language/where-to:buy

- the URL .../language/where-to-buy is then geo-redirected depending on the visitor's location

PROBLEM

This "concatenation" of redirects seems to be working fine for English language pages, but not for other languages. The redirection process always delivers a 404 page in that case. In fact, the browser keeps showing the starting URL .../language/where-to-buy/country before it should be 301-redirected by Yoast. As this URL no longer exists, a 404 page is being served.

I probably need to do some further testing to see what happens if Yoast SEO is not upgraded & WPML is upgraded. But as it is working now, I need to stick to old versions of both plugins on my production site.

Luc

May 7, 2019 at 2:56 pm #3759477

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Since there have been no news on this since we last spoke, is there anything else I can do to help you? That workaround is all I have at this point and nothing else has changed since the last ticket.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 3:00 pm #3759481

lucM-5

Hi Bruno,

I think ì have to do a couple of tests first to understand whether this could be related to change in the Yoast SEO plugin. Until then, there is nothing else you can do for me.

I really appreciate your effort.

Thanks
Luc