If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

When activating WPML the following error message shows:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file()

Solution:

This is most probably happening because that the SimpleXML PHP extension is not activated on your server.
WPML's minimum requirement state that this extension must be enabled on the server of your site if you want to use WPML. You can see it in our minimum requirement page here.
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
It is needed for using XLIFF files in WPML Translation Management.
http://php.net/manual/en/book.simplexml.php
In fact, the vast majority of hosting server's have this PHP extension enabled by default.

Please ask your hosting if the SimpleXML PHP extension is enabled on the server and if not ask them to enable it and then try to activate WPML.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 14, 2018 at 2:04 pm #2121588

florenceC-4

I am trying to : activate WPML Multilingual CMS

Link to a page where the issue can be seen : hidden link

Instead, I got : Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file()

May 15, 2018 at 7:13 am #2129853

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

This is most probably happening because that the SimpleXML PHP extension is not activated on your server.
WPML's minimum requirement state that this extension must be enabled on the server of your site if you want to use WPML. You can see it in our minimum requirement page here.
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
It is needed for using XLIFF files in WPML Translation Management.
hidden link
In fact, the vast majority of hosting server's have this PHP extension enabled by default.

Please ask your hosting if the SimpleXML PHP extension is enabled on the server and if not ask them to enable it and then try to activate WPML.

I'll wait to hear from you if this is indeed the problem.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 25, 2018 at 9:36 am #2228128

florenceC-4

It's ok now. Thank you for you're support.

Best regards.

May 27, 2018 at 7:50 am #2234415

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Great! I'm glad that it works now.

Cheers,
Itamar.