This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 25, 2019 at 3:21 pm

stephaneB-31

Hi,

This is URGENT. I have a client who has constant issues with the way WPML translates the Event Calendar/Event calendar PRO. This has been going on for over a year. I wish I was kidding. We recently rebuilt the entire web site built by their previous developer and when installing Event/WPML we followed every steps in these guides to ensure that the Event Calendar/Event Calendar PRO is working properly with your plug-in:

hidden link
hidden link

but we’re STILL having a bunch of problems and glitches happening. We’ve usually been able to find ways to debug but right now nothing is working, and I honestly don’t think it should be that complicated to use WPML.

Right now, the calendar in French (default language is English) is completely broken. I am seeing the month correctly and the events are displayed in the correct language when I’m “looking” at the calendar. BUT if I click on one event it gives me a page not found. If I go to the event in English first, click on it and then change the language to French then it’s working.

So, basically when the URL is …/event/name-of-the-event-in-french it’s working but for some unknown reasons when I click on the event from the French calendar it pushes the URL to …/evenements/name-of-the-event-in-english which gives me a page not found.
We tried translating the Slug but no luck. I’ve checked and changed every string translation related to event/events/evenement/evenements, I have already checked and tried a bunch of things from your forums, nothing is working. The string translation is currently set to /event even for French but it still pushes it to /evenements so there’s something that is not working properly on your side.

On top of that, unrelated to the calendar problem, when I check my string translations, where it should be “event” in English (original string) is showing “evenement”, “evenements” or “événements”. Why is it showing the French word for the Default English language? I cannot change it and I never changed it to be that way. When I open my WP dashboard and go to my WPML option, I see some words in French and some in English when my language is set to English. I can live with that but I need a solution for the calendar.

Here is the calendar:
hidden link

Here is an example of a page not found when I try to click on an event:
hidden link

Here is the event working when I switch the /evenements to /event:
hidden link

as you can see the evenements/… is showing the name of the event in English even though the language is set to French and when I change it to /event it shows the name of the event in French. Ideally, I would like for the /event to be translated to /evenement.

Another problem I had last week (when viewing the calendar in French) when I clicked to see the next month(s), every activity in the next month(s) were displayed in English even though my language was set to French. It seems like it was debugged, and I don’t know if it was from things I tried or with the update you released soon after.

I’m getting extremely frustrated and so is our client. The amount of work we must do to debug and try to resolve problems regularly with WPML is honestly making me consider other options. I don’t think I’m getting my money’s worth because of how glitchy and broken it can be.

I want a solution. I don’t want a URL to one of your forums. This is extremely urgent for our client. Over 10 000 people consult the calendar monthly and many of them daily. We cannot afford for the calendar to be completely broken in french.

Thank you.

P.S. : Please let us know if you would like us to set up a Duplicator package to clone the site on your end

April 26, 2019 at 11:16 am #3690219

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Since there seems to be multiple issues, but possibly related, let me try to focus to one at a time.

Here is an example of a page not found when I try to click on an event:
hidden link;

Should I be seeing something else here or 404 error?

However, hidden link does not work - it gives me 404.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 26, 2019 at 2:15 pm #3691393

stephaneB-31

Hi!

So, it seems like the URL bug has been "fixed" - I don't know why since we didn't do any updates or any changes to the website but at least it seems to be working for now, so that's good, I guess. Hopefully it doesn't come back. Just an FYI that could maybe give you some insights, I noticed that the URL glitch seemed to be happening with the recurring events. (That calendar is mostly recurring events.)

Other things that are glitchy from what I can see this morning.

1. When I click to see the next month(s) in French, it switches the calendar content to English (as you can see below). It did that a few days ago, then it went away and I got the URL bug. Now the URL bug is gone and that glitch is back. It seems to be doing that back and forth.

2. I have 1 event in particular that I see in English in the French calendar even though it has been translated. Yesterday I had to go on the event and click update for it to show up in French in the French calendar, but it came back to showing up in English in the French calendar this morning. If I click on the link, the content is displayed in French though (as you can see in the 2 pictures below).

Thanks,

April 26, 2019 at 3:38 pm #3692095

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

hopefully it doesn't come back.

It may be something related to caching, but that's just a guess. I've just opened the page once again and it is still working, so whatever made it work may also be permanent solution hopefully.

I noticed that the URL glitch seemed to be happening with the recurring events

Can you send me few recurring links so that I could check as well?

1. When I click to see the next month(s) in French, it switches the calendar content to English (as you can see below).

I can confirm this as an issue as I can see it as well. This may be a compatibility issue and will most likely need to be escalated to our compatibility team. Before this, however, there is one thing I was able to find in our archives:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/event-calendar-shows-wrong-language-randomly/#post-1326935

I am not sure if it would work here though. Can you try?

As for the Food Bank – Food Donations, it may be hard to figure out what's behind that, as it may be related to the above issue.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 26, 2019 at 9:18 pm #3693313

stephaneB-31

Hi,

I can give you a few links to some french recurring events but since it's "fixed" it won't show a Page not found anymore but I noticed yesterday after sending the first message that it was only doing that on the recurring events, the non-recurring ones were fine.

French recurring events:
hidden link
hidden link

I had already tried to disable the Month View Cache from the link you sent me (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/event-calendar-shows-wrong-language-randomly/#post-1326935) and it didn't work. I double-checked to make sure it was still disabled and can confirm that it is.

A new problem appeared today (hurray). It's basically the same thing but on the opposite side. Now the English Calendar and the non-recurring events are giving me a page not found. The recurring events are working but not the non-recurring ones.

Non-recurring - Giving page not found
hidden link
hidden link

Recurring events - Working fine
hidden link
hidden link

This time I took screen shots so I will attach them below

April 27, 2019 at 8:45 am #3695015

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

A new problem appeared today (hurray).

If I am getting the whole picture correctly, some things work properly on your site, then they stop working, while other things that didn't work before start working for no apparent reason?

Can you tell me how big is the site? Are you experiencing similar issues on other websites on this hosting - if there are any off course?

Depending of the size, I am considering moving the site to our Cluodways site for further checks and debugging (if you would agree to go through this route).

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 29, 2019 at 1:16 pm #3703627

stephaneB-31

Exactly. Some things work on some days then break the next, and vice-versa.

We have other websites (same hosting) that are using the Event Calendar/Event Calendar PRO but not with WPML. The Calendar works fine on all the other websites.

I can give you a few stats:

Website is 2.88 GB
There is currently 1 742 events, mostly recurrent (The Calendar generates 4 months of events).
Av. of 2 500-3 000 sessions/month.
In between 7 500-10 000+ page views/month.

Let me know if you need anything to move forward with testing on Cloudways.

April 29, 2019 at 2:54 pm #3704661

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Based on the huge site size, let's go this route then:

P.S. : Please let us know if you would like us to set up a Duplicator package to clone the site on your end

Please exclude uploads folder (it is easy to filter out content like this) - I can imagine that images are taking up most of this space, also possible backups (if any).

Let me know once you get there and I will download packages, try on my localhost and possibly escalate further to our 2nd tier.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 29, 2019 at 6:24 pm #3706007

stephaneB-31

Hi,

The package is ready. I excluded the /uploads and the /updraft (backups).

Name of the package is 20190429_crcococcrc.

Thanks!

April 29, 2019 at 8:06 pm #3706421

stephaneB-31

The French Calendar is back to where it was last week.

Page not found when I click on the link to a recurring event.
Single event working.

English calendar working properly.

French Calendar
hidden link

Recurring event French
hidden link

Recurring event English
hidden link

Single event French and English (both ok)
hidden link
hidden link

English Calendar
hidden link

April 30, 2019 at 11:54 am #3710765

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

When I try to login using credentials from the login info you put into the first message, I get:

ERROR: The username or password you entered is incorrect. Lost your password?

Can you check this? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 30, 2019 at 1:47 pm
April 30, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3713143

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

That works, I am in! This will take some debugging time, I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news or questions for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 30, 2019 at 10:23 pm #3715089

stephaneB-31

Perfect. Thanks!

May 2, 2019 at 9:11 am #3723067

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I've cloned the site to my localhost and the results were/are the following, somewhat inconclusive - it works for all recurring (see images), but it didn't work for hidden link, until I resaved permalinks.

I would ask our 2nd tier about this, but I am having trouble finding a pattern there. The only issue I can definitely confirm is this one:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/problem-translating-event-calendar-plug-in/#post-3692095

This happens in Twenty Nineteen theme as well - Food Bank – Food Donations apears lin calendar for some reason (only that English event, though, not others) and links wrongly to hidden link, which is then a broken link. Do you have any idea why or how is that one different than others?

Regards,
Bruno Kos