Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 2, 2019 at 1:01 am #3720233

Jeff Musser

Hi there!

We have inherited a site from another development team. The site's main language is English with localized versions in Chinese and Spanish. We have it set so that if a page has not yet been translated, English content will appear. However, there is one page where a custom post type should be categorized in a list (based on taxonomies-I think) and on the Spanish and Chinese pages, it should be listed under it's translated taxonomy name - instead it creates a new list item in English.

For example, if we have a post called apple, and we say it belongs to the fruit category - on the page it will be listed under "fruit" on english and "fruit" on Spanish instead of "fruta".

We have two environments - dev and production. The functionality works on dev but not production - I have double checked all the settings and can't find what the problem could be. Both dev and staging are using the same version of code, WordPress and plug-ins.

I've attached several screenshots - the problem taxonomy/post type are "type_of_care" and "location_type". I also realize we are behind on the plugin version however it doesn't explain why it would work on dev and not production. I'm afraid if we update it could stop working on dev.

thank you and let me know if there is more info needed!

May 2, 2019 at 10:36 am #3723869

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

HI there,

I will help you with your issue.

You have mentioned that the post type is rendered in a page is it a wp page or a template? if it is rendered in WP page using shortcodes or using a template try changing the page post type translation to Translate- Fallback option in WPML > Settings > Post type translation.

If that doesn't help please share temporary access to your site and a link to the page where the issue can be seen. I have enabled private fields for you to securely share the details

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 6:10 am #3731065

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

HI there,

It seems like your site don't have a valid WPML subscription,
I am unable to access the WPML > Settings as well. Please update your subscription and we recomend updating to latest version of WPML plguins after a complete update.

Kind regards
Raja

May 6, 2019 at 1:23 am #3744169

Jeff Musser

Hi Raja,

We have a key but it will not let me enter it into the site. It says we do not have access.

Also regarding upgrading - I'm afraid to upgrade our dev/live sites because it works on dev and what if it stops working after? I would rather figure out the problem first, fix, and then upgrade. Is this possible? Thanks!

May 6, 2019 at 9:25 am #3746403

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jeff,

I'm unable to apply a fixer plugin, I dont have permission to upload plguin.
Please download the plugin from here hidden link its is single page plugin which might help is resolving the settings issue. just activate the wpml-fixer plugin and deactivate it.

Also, let me know the URL of where the issue can be seen in both dev and live site.

I can understand your concerns regarding the update, Please let me know the above details.

kind regards
Raja

May 7, 2019 at 10:53 pm #3762409

Jeff Musser

Hi Raja --

I tried uploading the plugin to our dev site but get the following error (screenshot also attached):
The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

Steps/pages to repeat the problem:

1. Create a new location - make sure to select a Location Type and Type of Care (see screenshot)
2. Publish - English only - don't go to other languages
3. Go to: hidden link and use the accordion menu to see your new location
4. At the top right of the page switch to a different language
5. View the accordion menu and see that the change is not translated (again, prod only, dev works)

I set up FTP - how can I send a private message so you can see those details?

Thanks so much!

May 8, 2019 at 11:40 am #3766157

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Thanks for the detailed steps, its much clearer now. I have enabled private fields again. Please share the FTP details. If the development is working fine then I might need to get a copy of your live site so that I can try to replicate the issue in my local setup
You can use the Duplicator plugin to create a snapshot of the site and share the package link with me http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Kind regards
Raja

May 10, 2019 at 12:10 am #3779937

Jeff Musser

Hi Raja,

I'm still trying to get the duplicator plugin to work - it keeps giving me errors - but wanted to get the ftp info over to you - i tried pasting it in but it is visible to everyone - am i putting it in the wrong field? thanks!

May 10, 2019 at 12:12 am #3779945

Jeff Musser

Can you let me know where to put the FTP info - i don't see the private fields. thanks!

May 10, 2019 at 5:29 am #3781401

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I have enabled the private fields again. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

Regards
Raja

May 10, 2019 at 2:46 pm #3785705

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi jeff,

I followed your instruction and created a test location in the production site (i have removed it after testing), It seems like its working fine at my end. I can see the Taxonomy and the location displaying in English in Chinese and Spanish translation check the attached image.

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Kind regards
Raja

May 10, 2019 at 4:54 pm #3786851

Jeff Musser

Hi Raja,

The new location should be categorized in the translated accordion menu - for example on spanish it should be under "Pruebas y diagnóstico". If you try on the dev site - you will see it organizes properly.

I created the test one called "Raja" on dev so you could see - screenshots attached.

Let me know if you need more info. Thank you!

May 13, 2019 at 9:42 am #3796505

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jeff,

The issue is clear to me now. I would request to secure a backup of your site. and follow the bellow procedures.
- Goto WPML > Support click on Troubleshooting above the info table (check screenshot)
- Click on the following
- Clear cache with WPML
- Remove Ghost entries
- Fix terms count
- Recreate table ST DB cache

I am still not able to access the FTP to upload the wpml fixer plguin, Could you please help me with the new FTP access. the access you have provided earlier doesn't have a password.

Let me know the results

Kind regards
Raja

May 20, 2019 at 11:07 am #3846223

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jeff,

I am still not able to connect through FTP, It seems like the connection requires a valid private key.

Please perform my recommendation on the live site since the issue exists only in your live site. Create a backup of your site and database before you proceed.

Kind regards
Raja

May 23, 2019 at 12:54 am #3870045

Jeff Musser

Hi Raja,

I followed your recommendations on the live site and the problem still persists - and there is a new problem where the English location does not show up on the site when published. But the Spanish and Chinese version show up on their pages but still categorized under English titles.

Can you try connecting again with that FTP info I gave you before but use Port 2222?

Thank you!

The topic ‘[Closed] Problem with custom taxonomies and translation’ is closed to new replies.