This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 2, 2019 at 12:32 pm #3724513

ziemowitK

Hi, I have a problem with WPML and Divi working together.
I have a simple WooCommerce Store in 3 languages: Polish, English, and Russian.
We have a little bit less than 600 products, so the store isn't big. And not all products are translated.
The problem is, that WPML is adding more than 200mb in total to the database, which makes the site very slow, and database really huge: hidden link

I think I could use some bad settings, please take a look how many strings there are already: hidden link

I've read some topics on the forum, disabled *Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality* option, but this doesn't help and the database is still growing. Could you please inspect my site and help me fixing that?

Address of the page (I made a copy so we can experiment on it): hidden link

May 2, 2019 at 4:04 pm #3726443

ziemowitK

I also have one more question: is it safe to delete all table entries in wp_postmeta table, called _wpml_word_count?

Please take a look at this screenshot: hidden link

May 2, 2019 at 6:21 pm #3728169

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

There is a way to manually delete untranslated strings from String Translation. Please have a look into the following ticket and run the mentioned mySQL queries.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-find-delete-waiting-for-translations-strings/#post-1244576

Further, in case you are running into any performance issues the following documentation might help you to adjust some settings that can prevent further problems.
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 2, 2019 at 8:57 pm #3729269

ziemowitK

Hi, many thanks, I will check it out:)
Could you please refer to my secons question as well? (regarding _wpml_word_count)?

May 3, 2019 at 5:06 pm #3737123

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry for forgetting about answering on this question. The _wpml_word_count is only needed as a estimate value for calculating the price for contracting a professional translation service.

You can delete those values without affecting your translations. Please take not that if needed WPML will create those values again when requesting translations on Translation Management.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 6, 2019 at 11:01 am #3747341

ziemowitK

Hi, unfortunately I still have some problems:(
I wanted to get rid of string translations which are complete, need update, or are not translated, so I used this code: DELETE FROM wp_icl_strings WHERE status IN (3, 1, 0);
It deleted a couple of records, but not much to be honest. Please take a look, in WPML I still see plenty of strings which for example are not translated: hidden link

Btw., is it safe to delete strings which are completed/translated? Won’t I loose all my translations doing that?

I still need to make these 2 tables a bit smaller: hidden link

May 6, 2019 at 5:47 pm #3751581

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

The mySQL query which I advised will only delete strings, that are not translated, needing an update, or waiting for a translations. It is not advisable to delete completed strings, as this will delete the translations that already have been added and you will loose the content. Same counts for partially translated content.

Each translation with WPML will have a string in String Translation. It is clear, that if you run for example a shop with 500 products and 5 languages, that this will lead to at least 2500 entries on String Translation for products only.

In case you are experiencing any performance issues please have a look into the following documentation and apply the recommneded settings.
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

I hope this answered you questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 6, 2019 at 7:06 pm #3752253

ziemowitK

Ok, but if I run a query to delete not-translated strings, in theory it should remove it. But if you take a look at my screenshot, they are still over there:-S Any idea why this query isn't working?

May 6, 2019 at 8:52 pm #3752689

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Do I understand right, that the quries worked and delete entries from the DB tables but the strings are still appearing on String Translation?

Please make a backup of your site and of your datasbase. Then go to WPML -> Support - Troubleshooting and run the options for Database CleanUp:

WPML > Support > Troubleshooting:
– Clear the cache in WPML
– Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix WPML Tables collation
– Fix element_type collation
– Set language information
– Fix post type assignment for translations

If you still find strings on String Translation please go to String Translation and select the filter for displaying strings for "translations needed" in the upper left corner. Then scroll to the button of the strings filed and select "Display all results" in the right bottom corner. Now mark all those strings. You will find a single checkbox to mark them all the the top or at the bottom of the strings field.

At last scroll to the bottom of the strings field and select "delete selected strings".

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Problem with many strings and huge database’ is closed to new replies.