This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 31 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
December 11, 2019 at 5:56 pm

ana-paulaL

Hi,

I am using Flothemes together with WPML to translate my English website to Portuguese and German. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue related to the ACF (advanced custom fields). This is affecting two things:

1. Pages
---------------
Each block used to build a webpage is a set of ACFs. Unfortunately, some blocks are not working properly. When I translate the English version to portuguese or to german, it stills show the content in english.

This results in a page that is partially translated, and partially not.
Ex: hidden link

2. Galleries
---------------
I have galleries in the English website that I want to have cloned for the website in German and in Portuguese, with their own permalink and alt values (for SEO reasons).

- I tried to duplicate the english galleries, clicking in Override with english content. But unfortunately, nothing happens. This is not the option I would like to use, because I want to have a permalink in the language and to have the alt test also translated. But still I want it to work for the future.

- I tried to copy the content from the english galleries, clicking in Copy content from english, which would copy the photos from the english gallery, but I would still be able to set a specific permalink and different alt text. Unfortunately, when I click in copy content, also nothing happens.

For some reason, the WPML plugin cannot duplicate or translate the content from the ACF.

Please advise.

December 12, 2019 at 6:11 am #5111957

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML.

Would it be possible to get access to a staging version of the website, or allow us to create a copy of the site on our servers? We have had some mixed content issues with ACF in the past, and while I don't see any new threads describing exactly what you are seeing, I do know that the attempted solutions are not trivial and I would not want to test and try to fix the problem on your live site.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed and I'll be happy to provide you with further assistance.

Thank you!

December 17, 2019 at 8:56 pm #5150063

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

You can get all the access and copies you need to fix this issue. Just let me know what you need and just please make sure that what is online now is not altered.

Also one question: if I downgrade to the Multilingual Blog plugin, will it influence the ACF issue?

I saw on the website that the multilingual Blog don't provide "translate custom fields". Is it connected somehow?

December 18, 2019 at 8:58 am #5153551

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Please create a test site for us to try and address these issues. Just clone the site onto a subdomain or use a plugin like WP Staging to do the same.

As for downgrading to Multilingual Blog, you would not be able to use ACF or any of our String Translation features if you do so. The Multilingual Blog is meant to allow very basic users running simple WordPress websites to translate their blog or blog-like content.

Custom Fields and translating widgets and other bits of content added to the site via plugins will usually require a Multilingual CMS subscription.

Thank you!

December 30, 2019 at 10:41 am #5210401

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to duplicate my website because I use a shared server and I am already having performance issues. Can you just login to my current website and make tests there? Or copy the content for your servers?

January 4, 2020 at 9:18 pm #5234793

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

Did you see my last post???

The support team from Flotheme is working hard on this issue but it seems they can't figure this alone. Do you have an email or any contact form I can give to them so you can work together on this?

My website is more than one month with a bug and this is affecting my sales! Coul you kindly help me? Please!

January 6, 2020 at 11:23 am #5240041

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Ana,

Sorry about the slow response. Your previous response came during some time off for the holidays so I had not seen it until today.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to work with another team to debug the issue but any information you can share with us from their findings will really help. If they need to get in touch with us for a specific query, please let me know the query and I'll have our compatibility team reach out to them.

The reason I say any information from them will help is that it should be quite easy for the theme developer to rule out that the problem has anything to do with their theme. If they are continuing to work on your issue, they might have identified a compatibility problem between WPML, ACF and their theme.

IMPORTANT
Please make a backup of site files and database before trying the steps below. Backing up your website ensures that you will be able to recover it in case something goes wrong. We always recommend trying any significant changes in a development or staging environment before applying them to a production website.

I did try to log into your live site but it does not recognize the username that you provided us. Could you check and provide updated credentials?

I will attempt some troubleshooting steps and fixes for known issues. If there's a need for further debugging after that, I will make a copy of our website on our servers.

Thank you and I hope you had a good break!

January 6, 2020 at 9:00 pm
January 7, 2020 at 5:52 pm #5248723

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

This is the last message the support of Flothemes sent me:

• During the last 4 days, we were making tests on a few websites that are using a Flothemes + WPML. The first things that we've observed are (...) all of them have full access to the ACFs (advanced custom fields).

Here is a screenshot for reference hidden link section is located below the page builder. In that section, it is possible to set whatever ACF to be translatable or not.

Please note that the ACFs are like the bones of the theme. Each input field, title, content section, image, etc - is an ACF. If one of them is not getting translatable, then this can easily be set in that section.

When you previously wrote to us about a WPML issue, in September, that section was present on your website and we were able to solve the issue by configuring some ACFs to be translatable. But, now, that section is no more present. We assume that this is caused by using a different WPML plan.

Since the problem occurs only with specific fields of a block, that section with the ACFs will come in handy. In that section, it is possible to set each ACF separately to be translatable or not.
    (...)
    Our final idea, is that since there is no full control over the ACFs, on your website, we'll not be able to configure them for translation, that's why we suggest using a Flex Block. Another solution, would be to upgrade the WPML plan. We've, asked one of our clients, that is having full control ACFs, what plan is he using. As soon as he'll answer us, we'll let you know too.

• ----

This makes no sense for me since I have the Multilingual CMS plan...
    Can you help me?

January 8, 2020 at 10:58 am
    January 8, 2020 at 7:13 pm #5256513

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

Thank you again for you quick reply. It makes me happy to know the teams will work together if necessary 🙂

This user I created just for you, I don't know hat happened before that it didn't work... I updated the password - to the same one - and tested and it seems to work here. Tell me if it works for you also!

This is what the Flotheme guys said:

----
    When creating a new page, in English, it is made via the main domain "hidden link"
    When a page is duplicated in one of the languages, ex: German the is supposed to be edited via the main domain+language tag, something like this: hidden link
    But, it may happen that the domain changes to "hidden link". Since there is no content in the structure of the ".de" then it gives errors like Internal Server Error, etc. The domain change does not seem to work properly.
    ----

I think this is not the problem since the WP is installed only in the EN version of the website, so when I edit a page from the brazilian or german website is all done via the EN domain (the main one). Therefore, it is not possible that the domain changes when editing a page, since there is no WP installed directly on them. Am I right?

They also said that:

"During our tests, we've found this article: https://wpml.org/tutorials/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/
    In that article, it is stated that it is needed to connect each domain on the website and also it is needed to configure them as addon-domains.
    Also, one of the most important issues happens with the "add_header X-Frame-Options" (last topic in the article) which is solved only with the host company."

----

I think I did it already the first time I started using multiple domains for multiple languages a couple of years from now, with Polylang. I assume that if I didn't, the website wouldn't be working properly (most of it at least). But if there's anything I should check about this configuration, please let me know!

January 8, 2020 at 7:15 pm #5256517

ana-paulaL

PS: How can I define if a message I send to you is private or not?

January 14, 2020 at 1:27 pm #5290071

Izzi Hassan
    Supporter

Hi Ana,

I was able to log in finally. Could you tell me why you're not using ACF Multilingual?

You can find a copy of it in your Downloads page:
    https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

IMPORTANT
    Please make a backup of site files and database before trying the steps below. Backing up your website ensures that you will be able to recover it in case something goes wrong. We always recommend trying any significant changes in a development or staging environment before applying them to a production website.

I would recommend creating a staging environment so that we can help you resolve this. ACF is fully compatible with WPML and so should not cause any issues. However, to enable this compatibility, we use a plugin to "glue" the two together. This is the Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual plugin. Please install it (preferably on a staging site) and then let us know so we can go in and help you with any issues after that.

If you are not able to create a staging site and don't have a developer who can do that, you can use something like WP Staging (hidden link;.

We can also try to fix this on your live site but please take a FULL backup and confirm that it is ok if the site needs to be restored due to some unforeseen issue when we install the ACF Multilingual plugin.

I'm confident that most of your issues will get cleared up once you do this but please reach out for more assistance when you're ready. You may require further instructions on how to translate everything.

Thank you!

January 15, 2020 at 4:28 pm #5299525

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

I didn't know I had to have this plugin installed, since everything was working fine without it until it wasn't anymore. Anyway, I just installed it. I backed up everything before, and the website works as before - still with the ACF problems.

I can't create a staging environment right now, as we talked already, because I use a shared server and I am already having performance issues. You said you would do a copy in your servers, and I authorised it, remember? You can do this copy if it is possible, or if it is not, you can try to fix it on my live site. Just please let me know which one of the two you will do.

If you need me for anything else, just let me know... And feel free to do what you need to fix it, like installing plugins or copying my website to your site. But please take care of this for me! It's been a long time already, and this is so upsetting and stressful 🙁

January 20, 2020 at 5:53 pm #5326373

ana-paulaL

Hi Izzi,

Did you get my last message?
    Please let me know how the test is going on!

Thank you,

The topic ‘[Closed] Problem with the ACF clone/translation and Flothemes’ is closed to new replies.