This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
January 8, 2019 at 4:36 pm #3067980

eoh staff

Hello sir,

I have big problems with the wpml translator. See below + attached screenshots

1. When I do modifications on a page or portfolio with WPML translator (English to French), the footpage erases automatically the French footpage, replacing it with the English one. So I have to put back the French footpage everytime I do modifications!!! Of course there is no field related to footpage in the translator.

2. When I do modifications on a page or portfolio with WPML translator (English to other language), some content fields are missing in the English version, and of course in the French translation (Elegant carousel, promobox, and sometimes simple title or content fields). In that case I have to add the French translation in the page. But of course everytime I do modification using WPML translator, all my French translations (of missing fields ) are lost and I have to do it again!!!

3. Worse! On some pages, some content fields appear missing when opening the translation page. And without doing anything on the page, they reappear later!!! So it seems in some cases to be a random problem.

Can you please provide me the formular for private access to our website.

Thanks for your help
Regards
Brigitte

January 9, 2019 at 4:14 am #3069787

Dennis

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

I noticed a PHP error on one of your screenshots which could potentially have caused the issues.

Could you please try the following steps and check if the issue still exists. Please make sure to make a complete backup of your site before proceeding.

-Go to WPML->Support page
-Click on Troubleshooting link (link in the middle of the page)
-In Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options of 'Clean up' section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment

Please let me know how it goes. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Dennis

January 9, 2019 at 11:10 am #3070966

eoh staff

Hi Dennis,

I did the complete procedure of clean up as you recommended. The problem is not solve. See feed-back below.

1. we have a lot of double content. You see in the screenshot attached. In the translation page we have 3 blocks duplicated, with one version translated into French the other one in English. So the corresponding page choose automatically the English version to display. Why some blocks are doubled when the others are ok?

2. After the procedure the khmer home page did not appear anymore in the menu so we had to reactivate the language and the page to place it back.

3. After the procedure, we had some mixing between English and French in the events list : one French event (cours de qi gong) appears in the English events (see screenshots)

Regards
Brigitte

January 10, 2019 at 8:24 am #3074838

Dennis

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please confirm that the PHP error FATAL error does not occur anymore?
It could be that because of that FATAL error that you're having these double content issues.
Could you please verify if the double content issue also happens if you create new pages?
Did you try deleting those duplicated blocks?

Nice to hear that you have put it back just fine.

It seems to be a compatibility issue with your event plugin. And I believe that this issue is being handled already by our colleague here:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/error-message-31/

I'm sorry but as per our support policies, we can only handle one issue per ticket. It will help us to serve you better and we can avoid discussing multiple problems in one ticket.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards,
Dennis

January 10, 2019 at 9:33 am #3075091

eoh staff

The PHP error is still there nothing had changed

any new pages is impossible to check as this problem is random. This looks to happen only on modified pages.

To delete the extra block, can you give the procedure? They do not exist in english page.

We do not understand why tehy appear in the french translation blocks.
Investigating further, we tried to translate into khmer language, the excact same page (about us) and surprisingly we found the same doubled blocks.

We find strange that you say this is the same problem because your collegue Andre obliged us to open a new ticket. But the problem of duplicated block, vanished or mixed language seam to be the same.

Please can we treat this with somebody else than Andre that refuse to read all our check and of course our reports.

waiting for your reply

thank you Dennis

January 10, 2019 at 12:00 pm #3075824

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello Dennis

I´ll be helping you going forward. I´ve read through the message and it seems to me that the trouble you are experiencing is due to a mix of issues:

1. Footer
You wrote that each time you edit the page, the footer reverts to the original language. Also that the footer is not included within the TE (transaltion editor).

My suspicion is that the footer is a custom field that has the wrong translation options. e.g. it is set to "copy" and not to "translate". It can also be that you are using a global pagebuildre element that has not been translated to all langauges.

In both of these cases, the footer would revert back to the original language. I would need to check online.

2. Missing page elements in TE
You wrote: ".. some content fields are missing in the English version, and of course in the French translation (Elegant carousel, promobox, and sometimes simple title or content fields). "

In this case, it seems your pageguilder shortcodes are not registered with String Translation as translatable so the TE does not pick them up for translation. The result will be that the content will be missing in the target language or have original content displayed.

The solution is to make sure that these shortcodes are included by adding the appropriate XML so they are recognised. I can do this for you if you first prepare a sampel page with only the shortcodes that are being ignored by TE. Can you do this for me?

3. Random elements appearing
You wrote:"..On some pages, some content fields appear missing when opening the translation page. And without doing anything on the page, they reappear later!!"

If you are mixing translation methods before translation job has completed: e.g. you use the translation editor and then switch to using manual editing while a translation job is still "in progress" you will get unexpected results including double entries in the TE and missing content in the target post.

Next step:
Please provide access information to your site in the private area that I am opening. Then, include links to the page(s) that are in this shape.

Please also install/activate the Duplicate Post plugin. I have found that the best way to remove repeated strings in the Translation Editor is to create a clone of the original post. This ususally not only cleanups the editor of repeated strings but also corrects any inconsistencies created by mixing editing modes.

January 10, 2019 at 2:36 pm #3076553

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

1. You can report back at any time. I work M-F from EU timezone and your ticket is now assigned to my work queue so your answers will go directly to me.

2. Access to your site.
We have 3 options to access your site:
2.1 - Directly on your server or a copy of your installation (i.e. staging site)
Advantage: you can see what I am doing and you don´t need to repeat the fix
Disadvantage: we are affecting your site which can disturb others working and reduces my ability to freely troubleshoot

2.2 - You can provide a Duplicator package (full or selectively reduced) and I will install it on a local server and work on this cloned site
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/
Advantage: I can have access to filesystem and freedom to debug without interrupting your site
Disadvantage: you cannot see what I am seeing since it will be on a localserver and all fixes will need to be replicated on your site

2.3 - I can provide a cloudserver where you can migrate your site and we will then work from that
Advantage: we see the same thing and it does not interrupt your normal site
Disadvantage: I cannot access the filesystem if needed since it is a cloud server

Just let me know which of the 3 options you decide to go forward with. If you decide on a DUplicator site, you can either create the package yourself and send me a link where I can download the package (you should use a service like WeTransfer to upload the files to).

If you decide to use a cloudserver, just let me know and I will send you the instructions on how to migrate your site over.

Kind regards

The topic ‘[Closed] problem with translation to French’ is closed to new replies.