Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 66 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 8 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
November 26, 2019 at 1:17 pm #5021799

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

the Cloudways support was able to check my migration which failed too:

They send me this hidden link error related to MailPoet. They recommend to repair the database and fix any other errors before starting the migration process again.

#1 Please open your wp-config.php and search for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

#2 Replace it with

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Then we can record any errors which may impact the migration before. You will find recorded log under /wp-content/debug.log

Best Marcel

November 27, 2019 at 5:22 pm #5031611

svenG-16

Hi Marcel,

I did as you asked and triggered a new migration as well. However there is no new log file created in the specified folder "/wp-content/debug.log

Can you check from your side if there is any change?

Kind regards,
Julian

November 27, 2019 at 10:41 pm #5032477

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Julian,

the migration failed for me too. When no log files are created, then no PHP errors are caused.

Otherwise, we can try using Duplicator: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Best
Marcel

November 28, 2019 at 8:17 pm #5039517

svenG-16

Hi Marcel,

The website as it turns out is quite large and this prevents the plugin from working correctly. The website itself is close to 1GB. I have a working Updraft Plus plugin. Can you work with that?
Also you still have FTP access. Can you check if the file created in:

public_html/wp-snapshots

from the Duplicator plugin is workable?

I am amazed that nothing seems to be working at all. Whatever we tried so far is a dead end. Is the issue resolvable at all?

Kind regards,
Julian

November 29, 2019 at 11:02 am #5042157

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Julian,

please note that until now we were not able to detect any issue from WPML.

WPML receives the following error:
- URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
- The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file

This happens because when WPML calls hidden link there is no output. A returned valued would tell WPML that WordPress allows accessing this URL structure.

What we are trying is to get your site somewhere else running, that if it's working there to have proof & an argument for your actual hoster. This kind of issues is always hosting related.

Your site is now running for some days with language per folders. Did you recognize any wrong behaviour, since them? If not, I would ignore it. If everything is working fine, maybe your hoster has a reverse proxy behind, this could cause the same issue.

So, if you didn't see any issues with the warning, I think we don't need to debug further.

Please let me know.

Best Marcel

December 1, 2019 at 12:54 pm #5049329

svenG-16

Hi Marcle,

I double-checked the configuration and tested the translation of a new page. All seems to be working fine actually. The only issue I am seeing is that once I add some elements in Cornerstone they are not recognized by the WPML plugin when hitting translate. I only see the "Title" tag and that is all I can edit directly in the Page Translation.

My workflow at the moment is as follows:

1. I Create a new English Page and directly Edit it with Cornerstone. I added a "Terms & Conditions" page in this case. The page contains:

Headline
Headline
Content Area

These are all Cornerstone Elements.

2. I go to the edit page inside Admin Panel and click on the "+" sign to add a translation.
3. The "Page Translation" page appears where I can only see/edit the "Title" element.
4. I do so and click "Translation is complete"
5. I go to the newly created translation page inside Cornerstone and proceed to fully translate the page.

All this works and the pages appear as I need them to. However it bothers me that I don't actually see and am unable to translate the elements that I have added in Cornerstone directly through the "Page Translation" page in WPML.

Is the issue with me or am I doing something wrong to begin with?

Kind regards,
Julian

December 4, 2019 at 11:52 am #5067933

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello! I'm taking over this ticket since Marcel is on vacations right now.

You're right. what you mention is happening because you're using one of our WPML translation editors and Themeco's products are no longer compatible with them.

Unfortunately the cornerstone elements are not really compatible anymore since thay have changed a lot since our latest compatibility test with them. We have talked to them many times to see if we can collaborate and make all their themes and page builder elements yet so far the only way to translate everything is by using the small flags you can see on the top or bottom right corner of the page which is themeco's only compatibility with WPML for now.

They have fixed a lot of issues they had with that way of translating in their last release and it seems to be working correctly now.

Just for the sake of clarity, here are the step you need to take in order to translate your site correctly:

1) Access the page you want to translate/update
2) in the "Language" tab, which is in the page sidebar, you'll find a "switch" element. that is our WPML translation editor and it should be turned off
3) Proceed to translate the page by either pressing the pen icon or by manually changing the page through the language switcher located at the WordPress' topbar
4) You can just access the cornerstone editor and click on the different flags you'll see on the right corner.

We recommend that you create templates of each section or even just presets (if you need to change an element like a button or another cornerstone element) and then load the presets in the translations.

We are trying to make things as compatible as possible with them but we need their collaboration so if you can, please go to their forum and tell them about this problem, that way they can increase their priority on this matter and probably get things better in the future (quicker).

This applies to header, footer and now even global blocks (if they are included in your theme)

Regards.

December 5, 2019 at 9:10 pm #5080397

svenG-16

Hi Alejandro,

I am not sure what you mean exactly with all the steps. On step 4 what are these flags in Cornerstone you're mentioning? Never saw flags in Cornerstone before I think.

Also I don't get this part:
"We recommend that you create templates of each section or even just presets (if you need to change an element like a button or another cornerstone element) and then load the presets in the translations."

What are these presents that I can load in the translation? Not sure what you're talking about here.

Also we have another problem. My partner was trying to edit some translations. He started with the English page and added a text element and saved. Then he did the same for the German page translation. After doing this all the info in the German page is only visible in Cornerstone, but nothing is displayed on the website page itself.
He tried the same for a couple more pages, but the result was the same. Once he edits them they just vanish and are only visible inside the Cornerstone editor, but not in the website itself.
Honestly all this seems to me it should be a lot easier than it turns out to be...

Is there a way for us to restore the pages that seem to be lost after editing? Or do we have to start again from scratch?

Hope you can help.

Regards,
Julian

December 6, 2019 at 3:44 pm #5084963

svenG-16

Is it possible to be something from the migration from Polylang to WPML?!

December 7, 2019 at 12:09 pm #5087337

Alejandro
Supporter

Could you allow me access to your site? because maybe i was mistaking X with PRO.

I have just activated the appropriate boxes for the credential information i need from you. they are private so only you and i will be able to see them.

I suggest you create a temporary user, set it as an administrator and then add those credentials in the fields mentioned above.

If i see it, then i will record a video for you, maybe there's a step missing or something, but i am 90% sure Theme X works as PRO in that sense.

Regards.

December 7, 2019 at 2:38 pm #5087567

svenG-16

Also, as described in the previous message:

"My partner was trying to edit some translations. He started with the English page and added a text element and saved. Then he did the same for the German page translation. After doing this all the info in the German page is only visible in Cornerstone, but nothing is displayed on the website page itself.
He tried the same for a couple more pages, but the result was the same. Once he edits them they just vanish and are only visible inside the Cornerstone editor, but not in the website itself."

Can you run a similar test and see what is going wrong there? I have no idea why this happens.

Regards,
Julian

December 7, 2019 at 9:34 pm #5087939

svenG-16

We found out that if we add any new big Item it is not displayed it's like their is a count of elements and if we remove one to take the place of the new one it works. But if we add a new element and don't remove any of the old ones the new content is not visible.
It is visible only in Cornerstone but not on the website.

December 9, 2019 at 12:24 pm #5092723

Alejandro
Supporter

Here's a video of what i meant when i told you about the small flags on the corner of the page builder editor:
hidden link

And this is the intermediary page from X i mentioned in the last video: hidden link

About the element issue. that seems like a problem coming from the server configuration. sometimes when you have many inputs on your site (which in your case is 2500), it will sort of "get stuck" and "ignore" the rest of the content.

Since cornerstone has a lot of options and many of them are inputs, i would suggest you increase your MaxInputVars value to something beyond 10.000. you can ask your hosting provider to do that for you, if you don't know how to do it yourself.

December 9, 2019 at 7:32 pm #5095659

svenG-16

Hi Alejandro,

And thanks for the video and the input! I am already using the flags in Cornerstone for the translations. However I never tried applying this for a new page, like you showed in the second video. That is nice.

The main issue still remaining is with the elements and the confusion they create. I just increased the MaxInputVars to 11000, but the result it still the same.

You can try it for yourself. (You have permission, don't worry) Go to a page in Cornerstone in German and add an element or a section with something in there or whatever and save it. Then go to the same page on the live website. The whole thing breaks. You can still see the page as it should look in Cornerstone, but it doesn't look like that on the website itself. Even after removing the added elements and bringing the page back to the way it was the issues persists and nothing changes on the original. It stays broken.

I am uploading some screenshots to illustrate the issue better.

December 10, 2019 at 5:36 pm #5101943

Alejandro
Supporter

It seems that problem is happening wven without WPML. i spotted the issue as a missing AJAX response from cornerstone: hidden link

I tried it even without WPML to see if the problem would disappear then, i created a new page as well (test) and it happened there as well, without WPML.

You can try to deactivate all the plugins and leave only cornerstone active and see if the problem disappears, maybe there's a plugin confliciting with cornerstone. but at this point you can send the issue to themeco's support, they will probably help you spot where the issue is coming from.

Regards.