Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
February 25, 2021 at 2:54 pm #8173529

Robert

Hi Bigul,

Thanks, that solved the need to log in... but it keeps doing strange (or expected???) things:

Most important. WPML/Taxonomy Translations --> all product categories.
Before Dutch was the language of the original English language. Now Dutch has ALSO become an original language. Next to English as the original language. So now, in this WPML menu, the lines with categories have doubled. This doesn't make sense, now for the same category I have 2 in WPML/Taxonomy Translations

Yes, I just made a back-up again & Yes, give you & your colleagues permission to login in to the website.

February 25, 2021 at 3:13 pm #8173587

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Ivar,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

Now Product Category terms are created in Dutch & English languages. They have not inter-connected. I hope you have created these terms via WP All Import. Please check the attached images. Now terms are imported without connecting with the parent import. So the terms will not be connected as translations. Refer to the following documentation for more information and let me know your feedback.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#next-import-the-secondary-language-file

--
Thanks!

Bigul

2021-02-25_20-40-03.png
2021-02-25_20-35-08.png
2021-02-25_20-34-44.png
2021-02-25_20-33-15.png
2021-02-25_20-32-51.png
February 26, 2021 at 4:48 pm #8182963

Robert

This topic is actually a split from https://wpml.org/forums/topic/swapping-the-default-language-that-covers-all-the-import-aspects/

Hi Bigul, I don't understand why your answer is so extensive.

I'm clearly stating that before the SWAP "Before Dutch was the language of the original English language. Now Dutch has ALSO become an original language. Next to English as the original language." ...

this can ONLY be achieved by importing the Dutch categories, using EN as Default language in the WP ALL Import plugin/tool.

F.y.i. I did the effort of putting the back-up back- before the Default language SWAP - so you can see the WP ALL Import of the categories was done correct: hidden link Same username & password.

So again, why are the categories torn apart.

4. Your forgot answer 4.What more 'expected' results do I have after the Default language SWAP?? See there for a more detailed question.

It looks like: "Yes sir, of course we can change the steering-wheel of your car from left to right. But not telling me BEFORE the effects. That the gaspedals are mirrored, that seats won't be changed & having less options, etc etc. So then I should have better not bought the car with - for me - a steering-wheel on the wrong side.

You only respond of what I find out, nothing more. So how can I foresee if this solutions is a workable one, if you do not GIVE ME ALL THE EXPECTED RESULTS???

When I put 200 hours more in the website and then finding out, God knows what, and it actually was a bad decision...

February 27, 2021 at 2:27 pm #8187125

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the feedback. Please note, in the original thread, we have suggested running the importing tasks after swapping the default language. Because when importing the Posts or taxonomies we have to define an original language for the import the task when WPML is active. So we can connect with that import job while importing Posts or Taxonomies in the secondary language.

I have tested on my local server by making a copy of your site. As part of testing, I deleted all the WP All Import jobs and post/taxonomies imported via these jobs. Then noticed English Product category terms were existing even before the importing.

So I have tried importing in English and Dutch as existing items. It works as expected in English. But somehow the Dutch terms are not connecting with the existing English terms as translation. Please check the following screencast for more details.

hidden link

hidden link

Therefore I will consult about this with our team for an expert opinion and get back to you as early as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 2, 2021 at 8:43 am #8204745

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Please note, we can only connect the posts/taxonomies of primary and secondary languages via WPML All Import if the posts/taxonomies are being created during the original import in the default language. So if we already have categories in some language that does not store language connector and it will not possible to import translations.

But I am getting the expected result in my local copy after the following steps. Please refer to this screencast for more details - hidden link

1) Visit Products>>Categories and choose the number of items per page to 100 in the Screen options
2) Delete the existing Product Categories in all the languages
3) We need a Custom Term Meta Field to keep the Term ID during import. Then only we can connect between the terms in both languages. So please install our Types plugin for easily creating this custom term meta field - https://wpml.org/download/toolset-types/?section=changelog. It is free with a WPML subscription.
4) Create a Custom Term Fields Group with a Numeric field and assign it to Product Categories. Refer to this doc for more information - https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1647611-1620037/
5) Create a test term in Product Categories with Custom Term Field. It will help us to register the Custom Term Field.
6) Visit WPML>>Settings>>Custom Term Meta Translation and set *Translate* as translation preference for the Custom Term Field
7) Import the Product Categories in Dutch. Please use the *termid* field of the export file as a unique identifier and set this value to Custom Term Field in the Term Meta section
8) Import the Product Categories in English. Please use the *termid* field of the export file as a unique identifier and set this value to Custom Term Field in the Term Meta section, and also use *termid* field as *Unique Identifier chosen during the parent import* of WPML All Import settings
9) Make sure the WP All Import process works as expected. Then deactivate the Types plugin

Refer to the attached images for more details. Please try it after a full site backup{mandatory} and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

2021-03-02_14-04-09.png
2021-03-02_14-01-44.png
2021-03-02_14-00-39.png
2021-03-02_13-43-57.png
2021-03-02_13-43-33.png
2021-03-02_13-36-21.png
March 2, 2021 at 10:36 pm #8212187

Robert

Hi Bigul, you are making an import of a Secundary language product category much more complicated then it actually is. I suggest you hand over this part to a more experienced colleague.

(When you import, one of the required fields is a "Unique identifier". As long as this - by me generated value - is unique per category, this works very well. And a product-category of a Seconday language is connected with the product-category of the Default language. This is also what your colleague Noman taught me about products: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-import-issue/
More important is that all the product categories of the Secondary language are not the same as the Default language.)

So for the 3rd time ... Why is "WPML/Taxonomy Translations --> all product categories" changed after the Default language swap. I gave you 2 websites, before and after the swap. Before the SWAP they were connected, after the SWAP not anymore, 2 Default languages. Why is that. Check both websites.

! ==> You state that in the back-end the Original language stays English after the default swap. Like with the translation of a page, like editing Elementor, English is still the Original languages. So why has Dutch become then also a Original language for the categories, after the Default SWAP?

! ==> What more of this unexpected results will I encounter? The swapped languages both becoming the Orginal/Default language?

! ==> This really gives me a very uncomfortable feeling. If I invest 100s of hours in the website, then to discover perhaps in other WPML areas I have 2 Original/Default languages, both the before & after language.

Please give this to a more experienced colleague 🙂 Thank you very much. Ivar

March 3, 2021 at 10:07 am #8214919

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your feedback. For your kind information, before replying to you I am consulting with our developers and the second-tier team on this Please check the following screencast.

hidden link

Now 68 Product Category terms are created in Dutch and English. They are not connected with each other. So independent terms(not as translated) in Dutch & English languages.

As per the existing WP All Import Jobs for Product Categories, you have not selected the parent import Job and Unique Identifier while importing the Categories terms. As per our experience, it will not happen when you swap default the language.

Therefore I have one request. Please restore the backup before import in a staging site like this one - hidden link. Now site hidden link is showing the following error. It will help us a lot in debugging. Thank you for your understanding.

This site can't be reached 

check if there is a typo in www.****-host.com.

If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Please note, as per our support policies I have deleted my earlier local copies of your site after resolving the original ticket.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 6, 2021 at 4:18 pm #8242187

Robert

Hi Bigul,

In this thread I referred to hidden link (ivarb5.sg-host in the domain name) as the website BEFORE doing the Default language swap. Not the domain you are referring to.

I replied 3 times to you, referring 4 times to this website hidden link (ivarb5.sg-host in the domain name), as a copy of the website BEFORE doing the Default language swap.

You continuously said I did a wrong category import. Apparently you haven't looked at hidden link (ivarb5.sg-host in the domain name). And only tried to look at the 4th time I referred to it. LOL

Before, time after time, assuming I did an incorrect import, based on the website hidden link (NL TLD) AFTER the Default language swap. The video is showing this website AFTER the default language swap. The Default language swap looks like, to be the result that the categories are incorrect. I explained this 4 times before.

It also looks like you give wrong "category import" instructions, that give your members, and readers, an incorrect way of how to import categories in multiple languages. Making it more complicated, then it already is. You can also check this yourself, as your colleagues made a nice instruction (without your complicated instructions):
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

So, a wise decision, you let your colleagues handle this.

Kind regards, Ivar

March 8, 2021 at 10:05 am #8249957

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the feedback. For your kind information, I have checked it in the hidden link also, but somehow becuase of our multiple tickets and questions, I haven't mentioned it specifically. My bad, sorry for that.

Please note, the issue is existing in hidden link also. Please watch this video for more details - hidden link

In hidden link also there is no parent import for Product Categories Imports in Dutch like this - hidden link. So around 70 Product Categories terms are created in the Dutch language, not as the English translation. Please refer to the following documentation for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#first-import-the-default-language-file

That is why I requested access to hidden link verify it. Therefore please let me know your feedback on this. After that, I will make a summary of this ticket and assigned the ticket to one of my colleagues.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 14, 2021 at 4:57 pm #8305709
Robert

Dear Bigul,

You are right, I see the same incorrect way of import-result in ivarb5, thanks for pointing it out. I manage to do it correct in a test-site now. I thought I did it correct there as well.

Last question. The actual translation & Elementor is still in English with the .CO.UK as TLD. Final step of the process will be to change CO.UK into .COM, so directing of the main domain to the new WP site.

This looks easy in menu WPML/Languages/ Language URL-format for English.

But what happens with files that are currently saved in the .CO.UK and with the actual translation & Elementor, the latter working on CO.UK? And other results that I do not know about?

Thanks for your patience. Kind regards, Ivar

New threads created by Bigul and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-english-domain-co-uk-into-com/

March 15, 2021 at 1:29 pm #8311345

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the feedback. Happy to know you are getting the expected result for the Product Categories now.

Normally there will not be an issue in the site files URLs or Posts URLs or Taxonomy Terms URLs when we are changing the domain name.

It will only make an issue if you have the English Domain URL mentioned inside the Post contents. The URL in the post contents will not change automatically when we change the site domain. In this case, you can use a Search and Replace plugin to update the post contents. Please take a full site backup{mandatory} before this action.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 16, 2021 at 9:27 am #8318457

Robert

Hi Bigul,

Are you sure?

As explained, through this entire thread, the entire back-end still uses CO.UK tld for Elementor and as main language for translations etc. (although we changed CO.UK from primary to secundary language). I have no idea how MySQL works, I'm sure there's references to CO.UK, also folder(s) in MySQL is named after CO.UK.

So you mean WPML is so advanced, that if I change the domain of a secondary language CO.UK (before the primary language) - that also happens here to still be the domain for the back-end, Elementor on CO.UK, main language when translating - , WPML/ will automatic change CO.UK into .COM everywhere in the MySQL?

Ivar

March 16, 2021 at 3:16 pm #8323319

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the updates. I have opened a new ticket for the CO.UK into .COM discussion. Because as per our support policies, we can only handle one issue per ticket. It will help us to serve you better and we can avoid discussing multiple problems in one ticket. Also, it will help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.

I will get back to you soon on the latest ticket after consulting about it with our team. Please wait. Thank you for your understanding.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 16, 2021 at 11:20 pm #8326127

Robert

Without the initial thread your colleague or your visitors might have difficulty understanding the question. As the secondary English language is also the main Dashboard back-end language, because of the earlier Default language SWAP.

March 17, 2021 at 12:42 pm #8332301

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the feedback. I have replied to you on the new ticket. Please check the following URL.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-english-domain-co-uk-into-com/

We are keeping track of our internal communication. So it will not be an issue while communicating about this with our team. We also try to avoid discussing multiple things in a single ticket for the easiness and support you better. Thank you for your understanding. Have a good day 🙂

--
Thanks!

Bigul