Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 31 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 week, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
November 14, 2019 at 12:42 pm #4946783

emilN-4

Dear Andreas (he worked previously on the site),

Unfortunately there is another issue that I isolated exactly from WPML now after the manipulations for the previous ticket for the fatal error. When you open a category for products for instance:
hidden link
then you click any sub category and it returns 404 if WPML is activated ( I have deactivated it again for this). This happens because WPML causes the link to become ".../produkt-kategoriya/..." which is an old permalink piece for product category that I don't use.

So it changes the permalink which is a misbehaviour of the website. I don't use
Please help.

Best regards,
Emil
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

November 15, 2019 at 11:45 am #4953441

emilN-4

Hello, I still have this issue. Honestly since buying WPML I have it most of the time turned off for various bugs. I hope that these bad times would stop so that I could use it and rely on it. These fatal bugs are real trouble for my business.

November 17, 2019 at 9:42 am #4959967

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Emil,

I just had a look at the link you attached, selected one of the categories, and everything works fine. This is one of the pages I checked: hidden link

Can you tell me if you managed to sort this out in the meantime, please? If not (and you still need help with this), please tell me if there's any other way I can see this issue. I just want to be able to see it first. I'm sure we'll be able to sort this out in no time.

There are still some issues here and there, due to the fact that we released a pretty big WPML update recently (4.3), but we are trying to take care of each one of them as soon as we can. We understand that having a "half-working website" is not good for any user and that's why we are trying to keep up with any issue reported.

For now, I tested the sub-category on my website and it seems to be working fine. Also, as mentioned, it seems that's working fine on your side too. If the issue is still available, just tell me what steps do I need to take and I'll check this out.

Thanks,
Radu

November 18, 2019 at 3:48 pm #4966557

emilN-4

Dear Radu,
Thank you for your reply! The issue is still there. I've just activated the WPML plugins (this time all 4 main) and again it redirects to a wrong permalink from here for example:
hidden link

I deactivated it again. Of course now everything except WPML works (including the links). But if you turn it on again (you have the access in the previous ticket) you will see what I mean. Please go ahead and test yourself or troubleshoot. Andreas was working a few hours on my website, so might be better that he checks again. As he solved a fatal error. I think he might know what causes that.

November 19, 2019 at 9:44 am #4970283

Radu
Supporter

Hey Emil,

Can you give me access to the dashboard again, please? The credentials from the previous ticket are no longer available (we are removing them after the ticket is closed, for privacy reasons).

Also, could you activate back the WPML plugin too, so I can check the issue, please? The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

November 19, 2019 at 10:11 am #4970559

Radu
Supporter

Hey Emil,

Let's try a different think. Since activating the plugin on your website is not a good idea, you can create duplicator package as presented in this article: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/, and give me a message back once the package is done. This way, I'll be able to download it, create a copy of your website on my computer, and have a look at this category issue (without working on the live website).

Thanks,
Radu

November 19, 2019 at 10:19 am #4970687

emilN-4

Hi, sorry - I really don't have the time for this. I am spendinding already days of resolving such issues, but can not add additional time to this. Please go ahead and do what is needed to fix WPML. Andreas could not do it with the duplicator. Please review the previous ticket. He used another plugin. still if it's for a few minutes you can test it on the live website.

November 20, 2019 at 11:21 am #4979275

Radu
Supporter

Hey Emil,

Can you tell me if you made any changes to the product links, please? I tried to access one of the categories right here hidden link but I get redirected to hidden link. Basically, the category slug is changing.

I checked the settings from Settings → Permalinks and WPML → Settings → Taxonomies Translation, and everything looks fine. I just need to know if you added any redirect rules or made any other change on this area.

Thanks,
Radu

November 20, 2019 at 12:30 pm #4979917

emilN-4

Hi Radu,

You noticed right - in the Redirection plugin, I've set a redirect for those links since i noticed the issue. But then when you click down in the sub-categories and sub-sub categories that can't be solved that way, so there the issue is fully breaking the site. And that happens only when wpml is on.

November 20, 2019 at 4:57 pm #4982419

emilN-4

Radu,
What happened to the website? Now all the categories almost don't work? I will ask the hosting to restore a back up from yesterday

November 20, 2019 at 5:09 pm #4982641

emilN-4

Even turning off WPML plugins didn't help solving that. That's aweful...I am losing clients.
No product category can be seen. What have you done? 🙁 we didn't work on the website today.

November 20, 2019 at 5:28 pm #4982763

Radu
Supporter

Hey Emil,

I didn't do any other change to the website since my last message. Investigating this kind of issue is not simple, giving that you have some redirections made on the categories too.

In order to see why the sub-categories are not working, you need to remove the redirects to make sure that these are not causing the issue.

In my previous message I suggested creating a duplicator package, since this is a live website and I cannot debug this just in a few minutes. This way, you can keep the website in the state from yesterday and once I find the fix, you can just apply it to the website in a few seconds. You just have to generate the package and I will download it and create a local copy of your website (for testing).

I already checked this out on a clean website and everything works fine. This means that the issue is available on your website and that's why I need to check it out.

Thanks,
Radu

November 20, 2019 at 6:03 pm #4983187

emilN-4

So it.means the website doesn't work since then and that is why we didn't get any orders.

I asked you that you go ahead and create what you need in duplicator or the plugin that Andreas used. I am not familiar with these things and since wpml broke my site I rely on you to fix it. If you can't please assign the ticket to Andreas.

You can turn off the Redirection plugin when you are testing with turned on wpml.

It is a wpml bug.

The hosting still didn't restore the yesterday site.

November 20, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4983327

emilN-4

It's restored now. Please whatever you do, go after that in the live site and check if you reach the check out page through all the steps to order a product before that. As this day was a considerable loss for my small company 🙁

November 20, 2019 at 7:33 pm #4983575

Radu
Supporter

Hey Emil,

I did add a product to the cart and ordered it. The process worked very well. You can check the screenshot I attached, with the test purchase I made.

Thanks,
Radu