This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 8, 2018 at 11:53 am #2795898


Hi Support Team,

We have developed WooCommerce multilanguage website and we have some problem by switching language.

Just for your kind information, initially when we developed the website, the default language was EN, but after some time client had requested to change the language default to DE. So we just changed the default language and update the permalinks accordingly. Now the scenario is, we have added one product in DE language, and on the product detail page, I am trying to change the language to EN, at that time the popup will be open and if I confirm that I want to stay on DE but after confirming, we are getting 404.

- Selected language = German
- = 1
- I switch to English with language switcher
- Prompt shows - I choose "Switch back to German"
- WPML should now redirect back to German page. Instead I get 404 page because WPML uses English slug for product.

Below is my website link, so could you please give me the solution for this.
hidden link


October 9, 2018 at 11:35 am #2799746


Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)


the change of default language may have caused the issue. What you are reporting happens only on the backend I imagine, as I tried to switch language on an existing product page and I get the page in English.

If it's so, I'd like your site credentials to take a better look and do some test (from what it seems it's a test site, right?). I'll enable a private reply for that.

I would also need your WPML debug information. You can find it in:
WPML -> Support -> click on debug information link
Then you can copy/paste the text you see in the Debug box I'll enable for the next answer.
More information here:

October 10, 2018 at 3:50 pm #2805094


Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)


I checked your site and everything seems okay. I tried to reproduce the issue on a fresh installation but I couldn't do it.

So I'd ask to do this test:
- backup your site
- disable all plugin except WooCommerce, WPML and its addons
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again
- lastly, reactivate your theme

Please let me know the results of this test.

The topic ‘[Closed] Product Slug is not going to change after confirming the language’ is closed to new replies.