Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by silviaF-3 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
June 12, 2018 at 8:40 am #2407314

willR-4

There appears to be an issue with variable product titles disappearing. A number of people have raised this issue, but I've not seen any solution.

I have yet to figure out what triggers this problem, but after making minor changes to products / translations, I discover that certain products titles have disappeared.

Here are other tickets with the same problem:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-titles-disappear/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cart-bugs-and-product-titles-disappear/ (also issues with cart - like my other open ticket)
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/fixing-misprint-that-cause-disappearing-title-of-products-with-variations/

This is my first time using WPML WooCom plugin and so far, it's been a huge disappointment.

I have just enabled debugging, so I will report back if I find anything. In the meantime, I suggest you beef up your testing since there are clearly major issues with your software.

June 12, 2018 at 11:26 am #2408039

Minesh
Supporter

Hello and Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

First of all, After checking debug information you shared with us, I found that you are using Beta version of WooCommerce Multilingual plugin.

Beta version is not recommended for live sites. I would suggest you to download and install latest stable version of WooCommerce Multilingual plugin.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Could you please update WooCommerce Multilingual plugin to it's latest official release version and try to resolve your issue.

You can download all WPML latest stable plugin release version on your account's download page:
=> https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

June 12, 2018 at 11:30 am #2408050

willR-4

What a disappointing and unhelpful response.

I have another open ticket regarding products being removed from shopping cart when switching languages. I was advised that that bug was fixed in the beta version, so I installed it to test whether the bug was fixed (it's not).

The problem with titles disappearing was happening before I installed the beta version of the WCMP, so I can assure you it's not related.

June 12, 2018 at 3:19 pm #2408721

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hello, my name is Vincenzo.
Since Minesh is not currently available, I will replace him here in the forum.
I hope this is OK with you.

Thank you for the further information.

1. Does this happen with newly created products too?
- Can you please try to create and translate a test product to verify this?

2. Is the issue started with the new WPML plugins (version 4.x) or was it already there with WPML 3.9.x?

3. The WP Memory Limit needs to be increased. PHP memory limit is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb.

Add this near the top of wp-config.php file (after the php opening tag) to increase WP memory:

/** WP Memory Limit */
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

The wp-config.php file is located in your WordPress root directory. It's the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

You can check the current WP Memory Limit value from WPML -> Support in the Info section

More info here:
- https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
- https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Thank you

June 13, 2018 at 10:09 am #2410661

willR-4

Hi - I have increased the WP memory limit.

I can't say for certain whether the bug started after upgrading to the most recent plugins, but I suspect it was already there. I will continue to do some testing to see if I can figure out when causes this to happen.

In the meantime, please see this ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/fixing-misprint-that-cause-disappearing-title-of-products-with-variations/

I just checked the latest plugin, and the code he mentions is still there. So it appears that although a user has raised this bug and told you how to fix it, you still haven't done so. Can you pls follow up with your developers to find out what the status of this fix is? Furthermore, it's possible that this bug is the same one that's causing products to be removed from the cart. Pls see my other open ticket for details.

It's disappointing that essentially, you're asking your users to do your testing for you. Even when they raise bugs AND tell you how to fix them, you still haven't done so.

June 13, 2018 at 10:31 am #2410718

willR-4

Update:

I just tested the exact scenario described in the ticket above (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/fixing-misprint-that-cause-disappearing-title-of-products-with-variations/) and indeed, the title disappears.

Steps to recreate (note this site is not yet live / finished):

Visit site shop: hidden link
Change language to French using lang switcher in top right
Select a product (eg India Pale Ale): hidden link

Now open a new tab in the same browser and go to the En shop: hidden link

Go back to the FR tab and click add to cart (ajouter a panier for any of the variations.

Now when I go to the admin, the title is missing from EN version of India Pale Ale (the product FR added to the cart) - see screen shot.

Regardless of the fact that this isn't a common use-case, it's a major problem that a user-action on the front-end can kill a product on the back-end.

Please investigate and fix asap. Thanks

June 14, 2018 at 4:20 pm #2413838

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello,

thank you for the further details.

1. The issue with the variable product removed from the cart when switching language has been recently solved and the solution will be available with the upcoming release of WooCommerce Multilingual.

2. I tried the steps in your answer on my test site but I was not able to reproduce the issue.

3. If you have a staging version of the site, can you please try if the issue is reproducible on a minimal install?
❌ Before proceeding please make a full website backup! ❌
- Disable all the plugins except WPML and its add-ons, WooCommerce and WooCommerce Multilingual
- Set a default theme (eg. Twenty Sixteen or StoreFront).
- If the issue is solved, please re-enable the Plugins one after the other, and check the issue each time you enable a plugin.
It might also be due to the Theme.
Please do reactivate your Theme only after you are sure the issue isn't coming from a 3rd Party Plugin.

- Please report me when the issue comes back.

4. To further debug the problem I’d like to replicate your site locally.

I would need a site snapshot if possible.
We usually recommend the free Plugin “Duplicator” for this purpose.

If you already know how Duplicator works
(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/),
please skip the following steps and just send me the archive file you downloaded.

★ Duplicator Instructions
hidden link
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

If the file is too large (more than 200M), please use the Duplicator file filters to remove the cache, the wp-uploads directory, the media and the archive files.

Send me the archive file (you probably want to use Google Drive, DropBox, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big)

Your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it. You can paste the link to the file there. You can also share the credentials to your website. I will then download the file from the admin panel.
Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

Please let me know if you need help creating the Duplicator package.

Thank you

June 15, 2018 at 7:39 am #2414906

willR-4

Thanks for taking the time to review my issue. I've been doing loads of testing, and narrowed down the problem to a plugin. It uses ajax to add products to cart, and this was causing titles to be removed. I have replaced the plugin, and no longer have the problem with titles disappearing.

Even though the issue was caused by a plugin, there is still a problem with your code. There should never be a case that a user action from the front-end can kill a product on the back-end. So please close this ticket, but I recommend your developers have a look at their code to ensure this never happens for any reason. Thanks

June 16, 2018 at 10:40 am #2416681

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello, thank you for your confirmation that the issue is solved.

In order to involve the developers, I need to reproduce the issue on a fresh WordPress install.

Can you please tell me the name and the download page of the plugin that is causing this issue?

Please send me any other important detail/step to reproduce the issue.

I'm enabling a private answer

Thank you

June 20, 2018 at 12:07 pm #2424428

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello,

thank you for your detailed steps. I was able to reproduce the issue on a fresh WordPress install and I escalated this issue to our Compatibility team.

Our Compatibility Team will check the issue and, if needed, will contact the author of this WooCommerce extension.

If you wish we can keep you updated about the proceeding or you can just close this ticket.

Thank you

June 20, 2018 at 3:57 pm #2425164

willR-4

Thanks for the update.

July 20, 2018 at 7:57 am #2536399

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello,

our Compatibility team was able to find a workaround. We will contact the plugin's author.

In the meantime, if you wish to fix it, try the following steps:

- Open the woo-variations-table.php file
- Search for line 138 and wrap the URL with the wpml_permalink filter:

'ajaxURL' => apply_filters( 'wpml_permalink', admin_url( 'admin-ajax.php?add_variation_to_cart=1' ) ),

Thank you

July 27, 2018 at 2:05 pm #2588551

oriolc-3

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, what is the plugin causing this issue? I'm tired of replacing every day all the product names from my variation products.

thank you

July 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm #2588613

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello @oriolc-3,

the issue on this ticket was caused by the Woo Variations Table plugin.

if you have this plugin installed on your site, you can try the workaround shown in my previous answer.

If that's not the case, please open a new ticket.

Thank you

July 27, 2018 at 2:21 pm #2588622

oriolc-3

nope, as far as I know, I don't have this plugin, I'm using variation product by woocomerce itself.

thank you