This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ricardoS-4 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 2, 2019 at 6:24 pm

ricardoS-4

I am trying to:
We selected the option "Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins" so that translations are handled by po/mo files. However, using query monitor we noticed that queries like wp_icl_strings or wp_icl_string_translation are still being executed. Aren't these related to WPML string translation and therefore since we're not using it not be executed?

On another topic, can we use object cache with WPML string translation? We identified that on our website if we disable wpml string translation we have a huge reduction, around 2,5 seconds ,on our TTFB which is currently our biggest pain point on the website performance.
Since we're using WooCommerce Multilingual we can't disable WPML string translation, we tried that and got the following message "WooCommerce Multilingual is enabled but not effective. It requires WPML String Translation in order to work."
Any suggestions on what can be done?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

October 3, 2019 at 3:29 pm #4689413

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

It sounds like you are asking if you can just do away with String Tranlsations.

While the setting "Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins", it is my understanding that this will not preclude the access to the String Translation table for translating the following objects:
- menus
- widgets
- admin texts
- pagebuilder strings

In short, it covers only the issue of localized template strings. But there is more information stored in the icl_strings table than just what you find in the .po/.mo files.

Does this clarify why the queries might still be actively accessing the icl_strings table?

For the other question, please open a new topic since it may require a different set of developer resources to answer.

Thanks for your understanding on this.

October 7, 2019 at 3:08 pm #4708769

ricardoS-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!