Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by anneg-4 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Yuri.

Author Posts
October 16, 2017 at 3:47 pm #1402309

anneg-4

Hi, I am new to WPML. I have built an English/Japanese site as a child site in a multisite WordPress network. The site is built on my staging server with both English and Japanese versions of the pages. I need to migrate this site to my production server and I am planning to export the pages from the staging server using the WordPress export tool, then import them into my new, clean child site (where WPML is also installed) on the production server. Do I need to worry about about the export/import tool mucking around with any of the Japanese characters during this migration process? Or do you perhaps have a different technique for migrating a multi-language site into a new WordPress install? Thank you.

October 16, 2017 at 10:19 pm #1402717

Yuri

Hi, the Japanese encoding of the text should not be such an issue since WPML will manage them regardless of the platform you are transferring to. That being said I highly recommend you use a backup plugin to create a copy of your site and restore it on the production server.

Our entire support team uses the Duplicator Plugin for WordPress which is very stable and has an immense user-base with over 1 million downloads. The official URL in the WordPress repository is: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

It's very easy to use and the developers behind it have many pages of documentation explaining its usage.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

October 18, 2017 at 7:11 pm #1405195

anneg-4

Thanks for your help. I will check out duplicator, good tip.