This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 8, 2018 at 9:59 pm

simonA-12

Hi Wpml.

I have created a thread before for nordicitrental.dk, and I need to reopen the discussion, because WPML is draining our site. We have just updated the WPML plugins, and now the site is loading in just about 7 secs for every page. I have created a local enviroment, and there it is also incredible slow to load. It is impossible for us to use the site, and nor is it a good user experience - definately not acceptable.

I have used Querymonitor to monitor the queries, and there is some slow WPML queries that is happening. When I deactivate all of the WPML plugins, the site loads within 1-2 secs.

7 Seconds, or seconds higher than 3 is not acceptable. We need a solution.
We have a business running, and we are loosing sales because of the slow loading. It is hard to debug what the error is in the wpml module.

Can you please help?

Regards, Simon

September 11, 2018 at 3:27 pm #2724437

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Please upgrade to the latest version of WPML and WPBakery Visual Composer plugins after a full site backup. Then make sure is there any difference in the site performance or not.

Are you using a shared host or VPS service for hosting the site?

Is it possible to consider a staging site(clone copy of the live site) in the same environment? So we can do the performance debugging on the same server without affecting your live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 11, 2018 at 5:42 pm #2724816

simonA-12

Hi Bigul.

I have updated the Wpml plugins on the testsite (it was updated on the live site, so still slow performance after update on testsite). I have already given you access to our test site, which is a dublication of the live environment and is located on the same server as live (shared). Feel free to deactivate plugins, manage code, install plugins on the testsite.

Furtermore I have deactivated Virsual composer plugin, since we actually do not use that anymore.

Regards, Simon.

September 12, 2018 at 2:15 pm #2727866

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the permission and updates. I had a quick testing on the test site and the loading speed is improved much when WPML String Translation is inactive. I will do more testing on it and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 13, 2018 at 2:33 pm #2732025

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

For your kind updates, I had another round of testing with the latest version of WPML(4.0.7), But the result is almost the same. Therefore I have forwarded the details to our second tier team for the expert opinion and waiting for their feedback now. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 14, 2018 at 10:10 am #2735031

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

I have a request. Please upgrade your MySQL version to 5.6(if you are not using MariaDB), the minimum required MySQL version for WPML and the recommended version for WordPress. Check these articles for more details -- https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/ & https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Also please share me the FTP login details. I deactivated some of the plugins, the theme is showing the following error now. Therefore I can't log in to the site.

Fatal error: Call to a member function set_val() on null in /************/testsite/wp-content/themes/shopifiq/functions.php on line 65

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 21, 2018 at 2:17 pm
September 21, 2018 at 5:31 pm #2756140

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the updated login information. I can log in to your FTP. But some warnings are showing now(when I activate all the plugins). Please check the attached image. Therefore I have a request. Please move the latest copy of your live site to the cloning site.

Also please let me know your feedback on the following.

a) Is it possible for you to upgrade your MySQL version to 5.6(if you are not using MariaDB)? Because the minimum required MySQL version for WPML and the recommended version for WordPress is 5.6

b) Please check with your hosting provider and they will support PHP 7 or not

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 24, 2018 at 7:42 pm
September 24, 2018 at 8:22 pm #2761758

simonA-12

Progress from our side:

1) I can inform you that I have successfully changed php version to 7.0.

2) We have Mysql v. 5.6 installed at our server. We are using MariaDb v. 10.2 which is reverse-compatible with Mysql v. 5.6. That however, can appear wrong regarding version, but is right backend.

September 25, 2018 at 12:11 pm #2763680

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the updates. But sorry, I am not able to access the cloning site now. It is showing the following error. The result is the same after several tries from different browsers. Please check.

This page isn’t working

****** is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 25, 2018 at 12:47 pm #2763818

simonA-12

Fixed now.

September 25, 2018 at 4:30 pm #2764801

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the updates. I can access and login to the site now. I will do one more round of testing and get back to you tomorrow. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 25, 2018 at 7:22 pm #2765119

simonA-12

You're welcome. Looking forward to a solution 🙂

September 26, 2018 at 4:37 pm #2768113

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Simon,

For your kind updates, I have another round of testing after upgrading all the plugins and updating the Database(as per the request action from WooCommerce and ACF plugins). Then all the pages are loading in 3-5 seconds. Please check the attached images for more details and let me know if there any improvements in the site performance or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul