This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 4:22 pm #4382315

gregG-6

I am trying to: Redirect users based on browser language ONLY when hitting a page without a language specified (ie. redirect users going to designer.io/features, NOT designer.io/en/features)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: hidden link

Instead, I got: redirected to hidden link

August 12, 2019 at 9:15 pm #4383711

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Your request is still not clear to me, the browser language will redirect users for an existing translations matching the user broswer language, for example, if the user is accessing the url mysite/my-english-page with a browser setup with the spanish language and the 'my english page' has a spanish translation then he/she will be redirected to mysite/my-spanish-page, there's no a kind of 'filter' for this behavior, unless you use a third party 301 redirection plugin to manually set a redirection of that kind.

Please, let me know if you need any clarifications regarding my points. Have a nice day.

August 13, 2019 at 4:46 pm #4389741

gregG-6

I think this is probably a feature request then. I'm assuming this is a problem for many of your users and will fix a lot of the Google Indexing issues. My problem is:

Users are coming in on old external links without a language specified (eg. designer.io)
These users get redirected to the correct language based on their browser language setting (designer.io/en/)

The issue arises when someone comes in on a language-specific link (designer.io/it/) and then gets forwarded to a different language.
I do not want a user who comes in with a language specified in the url to be redirected, only the traffic WITHOUT the language specified should be redirected.
This will solve my issue of Google not indexing our language pages (due to all traffic being redirected to the /en/ page) while also redirecting users who are unaware to the correct language page.

August 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm #4397093

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Unfortunately it is not something possible with the current WPML feautures. Please, use this form to request this feature at: https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.