This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am trying to: get redirect to France language when I come from France

Solution: The browser redirection works with the language of the visitor's browser, not the country they are visiting from. So in this case, as you need that visitors from a 4th language get redirected to the English version of the site you will need to set English as your default language because if a visitor's browser language is not one of the languages of the sites then they will get redirected to the default language.

Relevant Documentation: Please visit this link where you will find our official documentation about this feature and its behavior: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
September 18, 2019 at 2:09 pm #4597339

Dmitry

I am trying to: get redirect to France language when I come from France

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: hidden link. Because redirect in WPML is switched on.

Instead, I got: hidden link

September 19, 2019 at 11:00 am #4603873

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Please visit this link where you will find our official documentation about this feature and its behavior: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

Kind regards,
Carlos

September 19, 2019 at 1:02 pm #4604955

Dmitry

Carlos, thank you very much!

Could you, please, advice how to set up Automatic Redirect to English for users who come from Spanish browsers if site has only English, France and Russian translation?

September 20, 2019 at 9:54 am #4611167

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

The browser redirection works with the language of the visitor's browser, not the country they are visiting from. So in this case, as you need that visitors from a 4th language get redirected to the English version of the site you will need to set English as your default language because if a visitor's browser language is not one of the languages of the sites then they will get redirected to the default language.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Best regards,
Carlos

September 20, 2019 at 10:24 am #4611409

Dmitry

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

September 20, 2019 at 10:58 am #4611579

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos