Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by dieterK-2 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
August 8, 2018 at 6:59 am #2623059

lucM-5

In Yoast SEO, I have several 301 redirects set up on hidden link - as follows:

/nl/waar-crowdbeamer-kopen/nederland > /nl/waar-crowdbeamer-kopen
/nl/waar-crowdbeamer-kopen/belgie > /nl/waar-crowdbeamer-kopen

In spite of that, we continue to get 404's reported by Google Search Console. And effectively, when visiting an URL such as

hidden link
hidden link

the website shows the 404 page.

After investigation by the Yoast support team, I got following diagnosis:

With only Yoast SEO Premium, the redirect works regardless of the trailing slash. Enabling WPML breaks the redirect with the trailing slash (see below). Unfortunately, this means something in the WPML plugin is preventing the Yoast SEO Premium redirect from working as it does when WPML is not active. Please report the conflict to the WPML development team.

Redirect with trailing slash (doesn't work):
hidden link

Redirect without trailing slash (works):
hidden link

Where-as I can easily leave out trailing slash in any URLs that are used on web pages, I don't have any control over how Googlebot deals with the trailing slash. As a result, the number of 404 pages reported in Google Search Console due to this issue is growing constantly.

Can you further look into this, and propose a solution?

Thanks,
Luc

August 8, 2018 at 7:13 pm #2626165

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Luc,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

hidden link

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 9, 2018 at 5:27 am #2627582

lucM-5

Hi Bigul,

I'll gladly provide you with access to the backend, but it's rather difficult to provide you with FTP access to the server. So is there a way in the WPML support system that allows me to pass admin login credentials without entering any sftp credentials? It seems like I have to enter both.

Can I not just send an email from the backend of the site, when creating an admin account for you, like I do for any other plugin supporters?

Luc

August 9, 2018 at 2:25 pm #2629232

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry, dashboard and FTP credentials fields are required fields in our Support Systems. But you can enter false data for FTP Credentials now. It will be fine for the moment. Please try it and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 14, 2018 at 8:31 am #2642612

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the login information. I have tried to reproduce the issue in a fresh installation. But it is working okay for me. Therefore please allow me to do the following to track the issue.

a) Deactivate few plugins of your staging site and switch to the default theme

b) Please give me permission to make a duplicator copy of your site using Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 14, 2018 at 8:59 am #2642742

lucM-5

Hi Bigul,

before we proceed with this, let me make sure that your reproduction in a fresh installation is fully compatible with what I experience on this website (and what others are experiencing as well, reading some other support threads on the WPML forum):

hidden link
hidden link

(translated page, with trailing slash) redirect to 404

hidden link
hidden link

(translated page, without trailing slash) redirect to a regular WHERE TO BUY page

hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

(page in original language, with or without trailing slash) redirect to a regular WHERE TO BUY page)

I hadn't actually noticed before that 301 redirects ALWAYS WORK CORRECTLY for English-language pages, English being the "master" language of this website. I wanted to make sure I brought this to your attention before we take any further steps.

Best,
Luc

August 14, 2018 at 7:11 pm #2644426

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the details. I have tried exactly the same in a fresh installation and it works as expected. The default language was English and the secondary language was Spanish. The redirection works for me in both languages. So please allow me to do the following to track the issue. Hope it will be ok for you.

a) Deactivate few plugins of your staging site and switch to the default theme

b) Please give me permission to make a duplicator copy of your site using Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 15, 2018 at 6:55 am #2645710

lucM-5

Hi Bigul,

I just did some tests
- changing theme to 2017 theme
- deactivating all plugins - except Yoast SEO (because that's the plugin where the 301 redirects are defined and it's essential to have this plugin active)

After doing that, everything works as expected. In particular, both

hidden link
hidden link

redirect to hidden link - which is the expected behavior when all other plugins are deactivated.

I then re-activated WPML Multilanguage CMS - and I could immediately reproduce the problem:

hidden link is not redirected according to the 301 rule - and the draft of this previously published page is shown

hidden link is redirected correctly

Feel free to do some tests by changing the theme and activating/deactivating plugins - but do not delete any plugins or themes.

You can also try Duplicator, but I found in the past that it doesn't complete on this site when trying to duplicate the entire site (database & files).

Luc

August 16, 2018 at 7:21 am #2648678

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the details and permission. I made a Duplicator copy of the site now. Will debug it further and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 17, 2018 at 7:05 am #2652399

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

For your kind updates, the issue is existing after the initial debugging procedures. Therefore I have forwarded the details to our second tier team for the expert opinion and waiting for their feedback.

We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 17, 2018 at 12:35 pm #2653219

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

We have a request. In the .htaccess file you are using some redirection code now. So please try with the following default WordPress rule(after a backup) and make sure the issue is existing or not.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 17, 2018 at 12:58 pm #2653262

lucM-5

Hi Bigul,

I will check with the support team of our hosting company Pagely - as we never edit these files on our side.

On the other hand: the redirect rules in the .htaccess file all relate to the LIVE domain www - and should not affect the staging.

Did this solve the issue on your end?
Luc

August 17, 2018 at 4:21 pm #2653863

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the updates. I will forward the details to our second tier team. We have requested to try with default code in .htaccess file to make sure the issue is not happening because of the conflicts with the redirection code or not. Becuase we are not able to replicate the issue in our end.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 17, 2018 at 4:28 pm #2653957

lucM-5

Hi Bigul,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer.

In reply #2652399 you confirm that the issue is existing - which I interpret as : you have been able to replicate the issue on your end.

In reply #2653862 you say you are not able to replicate the issue on your end.

Can you please clarify?

Just to confirm: I will still test with the default redirect rules for .htaccess - just to be 100% sure. I'll let you know the outcome of that - but, as said, I don't expect any difference.

Luc

August 20, 2018 at 1:19 pm #2659421

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Luc,

Thank you for the feedback. For your kind information, we can reproduce the issue on your site and in one of our testing server. But it is working okay in a fresh installation and my local server. Sorry for the confusion.

I am escalating the ticket to our second tier for further debugging. Becuase the bug is existing after our primary investigation steps. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul