This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm #4242015

gregG-6

I am trying to:
Redirect existing external urls to new language via referrer information

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link has a link to designer.io (the production version of designeriodev.wpengine.com). I have the WP Redirection plugin setup to redirect all traffic from this webpage to the Spanish (/es/) version of the website, but the referrer information is not being passed through the WPML redirect from designer.io to designer.io/en/ or there is some kind of order of redirection conflict.

I expected to see:
Traffic clicking on the designer.io link on the hidden link page to be redirected to designer.io/es/

Instead, I got:
Traffic is being directed to designer.io/en/

July 19, 2019 at 12:02 am #4242621

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

Have you tried deactivating the "Redirection" plugin to know what the redirection behavior will be?

From what I've tested, even by accessing the URL directly, the redirect forces the English language. That is, even without clicking the link that you have posted previously, but accessing the link directly the page is still open in English.

Maybe I'm not understanding what the expected behavior is. If this is not what you are asking, can you please elaborate a little more so I can better understand?

Thank you.

July 19, 2019 at 2:21 am #4243047

gregG-6

Hi Bruno,

Sure, let me clarify the situation a bit more. We are attempting to redirect high ranking/trafficked referrals from foreign sites like hidden link to our new localized languages.
We do not have the browser language detection switcher enabled in WPML because it is causing indexing issues with Google, so all traffic from these foreign sites are directing to our English site.
In order to speed up foreign indexing and properly direct these visitors, I have the Redirector plugin setup to redirect traffic from specific referrers. This works when I have WPML disabled, however, the problem appears to be that when WPML directs root traffic (designer.io/) to English (designer.io/en/), it does not transfer referrer information.

July 19, 2019 at 8:38 pm #4248103

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation. I'm still not sure if this is really related to WPML.

I tested this on a new installation. I created two websites and installed only the Redirection plugin - that is, without any WPML plugin enabled. When the page is redirected to another site, the "document.referrer" is displayed empty.

Would it be possible for you to create a testing environment for us to test? I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

July 19, 2019 at 9:33 pm #4248329

gregG-6

It is directly related to WPML because when I don't have it installed, everything works fine. To be more clear, the issue is related to the WPML redirect from the root site to /en/ not passing referrer information- this is why it is coming up blank. It passes the referrer information to the root, but then when WPML redirects to /en/, the information is not passed.

To clear up what I mean by referrer information- this is the data that is passed in the html headers from a referring site to the next site. ie.
hidden link has a link to Gravit Designer on their website. When I click that link, I land on designer.io with the referrer value of 'hidden link'.
With WPML installed, it appears that the referrer value is not passed from / to /en/

July 19, 2019 at 10:08 pm #4248433

Bruno
Supporter

I created two test environments to test this and it worked correctly. For this reason, I still do not think this is happening because of WPML.

- I created two test domains:
-- hidden link
-- hidden link
- In the first link, clicking on the "Hello World" post, the redirect goes to the 2nd domain, using the "Redirection" plugin.
- Both sites have WPML installed. Only the first site has the "Redirection" plugin.
- In both installations, the settings are as default installation

You can test both sites. If you want, you can access both dashboards using the links below:
- hidden link
- hidden link

You can check and change any settings you want in an attempt to replicate the problem. In order for us to verify, we will need to replicate the problem.

Currently, using all non-WPML plugins disabled (except the Redirection plugin) and the default theme, worked correctly as you can see.

The topic ‘[Closed] Referrer information not being passed through WPML language redirect’ is closed to new replies.