This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user would like to have a multisite of multilingual system, this way, he can serve differents geolocation with different languages and different products catalog, but still keeping one Company name. Solution: As of now, WPML does not support this use case, only the root site can be multilingual

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Anthony 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
August 3, 2019 at 4:21 pm #4334823

Anthony

#Tell us what you are trying to do?

- I have 5 website organized in a network, multisite using WPML.

- I would like to harmonize their name to reflect the company name only and not the country it is addressed for.

- For example, instead of having: mycompany US / mycompany France / mycompany Vietnam I would like them to be called mycompany. This way when customer purchase a product and received email follow up they only see mycompany name instead of the company name + country.

Also, if all sites are named mycompany, how can I differentiate them in the WP admin panel? (see screenshot multisite pannel naming)

#Is there any documentation that you are following?

- Not find the proper ressources online, yet.

- I know we can change the sites name in the network admin panel (see screenshot multisite settings), but I would like to make sure it won't create any problems somewhere else, or for accounting purpose, Woocommerce, etc.

#Is there a similar example that we can see?
- Not that I could find.

# What is the link to your site?
- hidden link this site is underdevelopment and not a public address. We would like to keep it confidential for now.

Thank you in advance for your help! 🙂

NB: the WPML debug info sent are concerning the mainwebsite (naturezen.org) has it is the most advanced version of our work. Also it seems that I can't send debug info from the network admin, it must be from one specific website.

August 5, 2019 at 12:50 pm #4340639

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

If I did understand your request, you would like to have multiple websites under "folders"! like:
- hidden link for the default language
- hidden link for the french website.
- hidden link for the europian website.
etc.

To have this, you won't need to install WordPress multisite. You can have it, by choosing the URL format as described in these articles :
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language-url-format
- https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/

If you still want to keep a multisite installation, you will need to exclude your language codes from the names of new sites in the network settings.

Once you configure WPML to use languages in folders, the website name will be the same for all languages. In the case of WooCommerce, products, even translated, will be handled as one product from one store.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

August 7, 2019 at 9:16 pm #4358295

Anthony

Hello dear Jamal,

Thank you for your support and information 🙂

I am not an expert, but the idea of creating new sites in a network was mainly for SEO and to have dedicate online store for specific countries/region of the world. We will have geotargeted rules for each site/countries.

The sites will be translated in other languages, so in naturezen.org/eu we would have:
- naturezen.org/eu/fr
- naturezen.org/eu/en
- naturezen.org/eu/de

In naturezen.org/ca, we will have:
naturezen.org/ca/fr
naturezen.org/ca/en

Does that make sense with WPML functionality? On our side it seems quite feasible from now on... Please feel at ease to tell me if we need to change something... we are in a rush to open for next week 🙂

This is how it looks in our WPML Network Setup:
hidden link

And in the main site:
hidden link

Best Thanks,

Anthony

August 7, 2019 at 9:17 pm #4358297

Anthony

NB: we are from Quebec/Canada so we speak french if needed 🙂

August 8, 2019 at 10:35 am #4361861

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Unfortunately, this is not possible right now. You can instead work with one installation(no multisite) and work with subdomains like this:
- eu-fr.naturezen.org/
- eu-en.naturezen.org/
- eu-de.naturezen.org/
- ca-fr.naturezen.org/
- ca-en.naturezen.org/
And this will be one site, one store.

Then you can implement the geotargeting the way you see fit. WPML does not handle geotargeting now. only redirection per browser language. And I don't think will handle the couple fr_EU but rather fr_FR or fr_BE basically (language_country-code)

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 8, 2019 at 11:42 am #4362299

Anthony

Hello Jamal,

Hmm.... That is special, we have hired a web developer who created this work base for us to continue to develop our website... its tricky, because we read some info that contradict themselves about multisite development....

Also, from what I understand, on WPML support it doesn't say its impossible, maybe I am missing something?

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multisite-support/

For the Geotargeting, we will not use the one from WPML, but rather use a service call GeoTargetly so that users are redirected towards the right sites upon their location in the world... So if we use one site / one store we can not show different products / popups based on user locations? It feels less flexible in the long term and in the perspective of expanding to other countries...

Please feel free to share any advice that could help us, we are really lacking time to finalize our project right now, all good advice are most welcome 🙂

Best Thoughts,

Anthony

August 8, 2019 at 11:44 am #4362311

Anthony

Also I would like to hide the urls shared previously in the comments, would you minde letting me know the right way to do it? I have seen in other post people sharing link and seeing "hidden link"... Thank you!

August 8, 2019 at 2:03 pm #4363643

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

The links shared in forum tickets are only visible to our support team and to the user that creates them.

Regarding our initial subject, I can agree that the documentation about multisite is contradictory, I personally did not test a similar case to yours(multisite of multilingual websites). I can test it if you would like to know my results. I can also create a server on our platform and test together on it.

Finally, I can suggest using several installations for each of the following websites:
- One in root folder for naturezen.org
- One in /eu/ folder for naturezen.org/eu
- One in /ca/ folder for naturezen.org/ca

But remember that with your offer (Multilingual CMS) you may have only 3 sites to register for automatic updates.

Let me know if you want me to create a test server or if you want me to test (multisite of multilingual websites)

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 13, 2019 at 11:41 pm #4391117

Anthony

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!