This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Chris 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Harshad.

Author Posts
June 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm #63399

Chris

I'm attempting to "turn on" the new auto replacement of non-ascii characters in the URLs. My default language is English and my translation language is Chinese (Traditional).

Under the 'Edit Languages' in WPML setup, I have the Encode URLs as follows:
English - Encode URLs - No
Chinese (Traditional) - Encode URLs - Yes

I've followed the example picture here: http://wpml.org/2012/06/wpml-2-5-0/ and set to "Copy from original language if translation language uses encoded URLs"

However, if I create a new translation post or page with a title containing Chinese characters - for example: 繁體中文, the URL being generated is: /zh-hant/2012/06/繁體中文/.

Am I missing another option that must be setup?

Thanks

http://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-locking-fields-in-u-design-theme/

June 17, 2012 at 7:56 am #63445

Harshad

Dear Chris,

Yes thats normal, it depends upon the permalink you have set, give a try changing permalink to /%postname%/ it will create a link /zh-hant/繁體中文/.

June 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm #63492

Chris

Hi Hashad,

Thank you for your quick response.

I don't want the URL to be /zh-hant/2012/06/繁體中文/ or /zh-hant/繁體中文/ for the reasons outlined in the WPML release notes under "Replacing Non-ASCII Characters in URLs".

For example, if my original English post or page has an URL of /2012/06/test/, and I write the Chinese version using a title of 繁體中文, I was under the impression that the new WPML version would recognize that the Chinese version URL would contain non-ASCII characters and instead use the same URL structure as the original post or page (/zh-hant/2012/06/test/).

Did I get this wrong?

June 18, 2012 at 8:28 am #63560

Harshad

Dear Chris,

Are you using WPML's translation editor?

When you translate with WPML’s Translation Editor, you can control the slugs.

June 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm #63782

Chris

Hi Hashad,

Thank you - I realize now we were talking slightly different things. You are referring to the "Create translations manually" option, while I was referring to the "Use the translation editor" option in the "How to translate posts and pages" section.

I incorrectly assumed that "Create translations manually" was supposed to update the URL automatically based on the new WPML release information, but I realize now it's only when you are using the translation editor (which doesn't give you URL control) that it's automatic.

All is good. I appreciate your patience while we worked through that!

-Chris

The topic ‘[Closed] Replacing Non-ASCII Characters in URLs’ is closed to new replies.