This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
May 30, 2019 at 7:00 pm #3925729

jonathanL-25

I am trying to: Have the website function as normal. No specific action has been taken to my knowledge. The issue started at 8AM PST sharp. It is only occurring on one of our sites using WPML.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: No link, but here is the info from the communication log:

05/30/2019 06:55:32 pm - call - hidden link - {"api_version":1.1}
05/30/2019 06:55:56 pm - error - Cannot communicate with the remote service | url: `hidden link` method: `GET` param: `{"method":"GET","sslverify":false,"timeout":60,"headers":"Content-type: application\/json"}` response: `{"headers":[],"body":"<!DOCTYPE html>\n<html>\n<head>\n <title>We're sorry, but something went wrong (500)<\/title>\n <style type=\"text\/css\">\n body { background-color: #fff; color: #666; text-align: center; font-family: arial, sans-serif; }\n div.dialog {\n width: 25em;\n padding: 0 4em;\n margin: 4em auto 0 auto;\n border: 1px solid #ccc;\n border-right-color: #999;\n border-bottom-color: #999;\n }\n h1 { font-size: 100%; color: #f00; line-height: 1.5em; }\n <\/style>\n<\/head>\n\n<body>\n <!-- This file lives in public\/500.html -->\n <div class=\"dialog\">\n <h1>We're sorry, but something went wrong.<\/h1>\n <\/div>\n<\/body>\n<\/html>\n","response":{"code":502,"message":"Bad Gateway"},"cookies":[],"filename":null,"http_response":{"data":null,"headers":null,"status":null}}`

I expected to see: Site functioning normally.

Instead, I got: Massive spikes in external requests to tp.wpml.org starting at 8 AM PST on May 30th (see external-requests.png attached).

May 31, 2019 at 8:39 am #3928543

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

Was it a temporary issue or are the request still high enough?

I can see that you are still using an outdated version of the plugin, we recently released new versions of WPML plugins with fixes and improvements so could you please update the plugin to the latest version and let me know if this helps?

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

May 31, 2019 at 1:00 pm #3930703

jonathanL-25

Hello,

The external requests appear to have leveled out around 6-7 PM PST yesterday. Was there an issue with the WPML API yesterday? Or is this something we should be concerned about happening again?

And thank you for the advice, we will look into updating the WPML plugins. They have not been updated yet because there is quite a bit of custom code on the site depending on WPML, but if you believe that is the only way to prevent a spike like this in the future - we will find out what we need to do to get them updated.

Thanks!

June 3, 2019 at 3:07 am #3938917

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Was there an issue with the WPML API yesterday?

Not so aware of any issues.

Regarding the update, we always test issues and include fixes in the latest version so it's always best to use the latest version while reporting or debugging issues.

Being so, I recommend you to update and share us the results.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] Requests to API are failing’ is closed to new replies.