Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Mohamed Sayed 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
July 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm #9165247

Fabio Fava

Tell us what you are trying to do?

- I've had to re-domain and reset the main language of a website, mostly all good but some parts weren't translated to the new main language (custom Pt-BR). I would need some help into finding those strings and setting them to the new main language.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

- I've been extensively reading WPML Forums and Tickest but couldn't find a solution.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

- Not at this moment, and I assume it's not relevant since it's about using String Translation.

What is the link to your site?

- It's a local site on LocalWP, I can send you a backup of it or upload it to a server so you can test it online (will take longer) to a Staging Server. But then I would have to finish the site setup online. Just takes more time since I'll have to migrate it online, please let me know.

July 9, 2021 at 2:10 pm #9165801

Fabio Fava

Here are a few screenshots of things I'd need to change to my language as all others.

WPML-Translation-Priorities.jpg
WPML-Product-Categories.jpg
WPML-Categories.jpg
WC-Multilingual-URLs.jpg
WC-Multilingual-Categories.jpg
July 9, 2021 at 3:23 pm #9166447

Fabio Fava

And WooCommerce e-mails settings just refuses to be changed

WooCommerce -> Configuration -> E-mails

WooCommerce-emaills.jpg
July 10, 2021 at 7:33 am #9169231

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

If you need to change string language, you need to do it via String Translation.
Please check this page https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/how-to-change-the-source-language-of-strings/

July 10, 2021 at 10:54 am #9169803

Fabio Fava

Hey Laura, thanks for your support.

I don't know how to find those strings. On the screens provided there's not this option, and on the String Translation I don't know how to find them.

I'll keep looking forward from you, thank you very much

July 11, 2021 at 12:02 pm #9172489

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi Fabio,
I'm taking over this ticket and will be happy to help you.

As Laura mentioned, to change the string language you need to use the String Translation module. But after checking your screenshots I found that this method won't work with all the strings in your screenshots as it's coming from different places.

1- For the WooCommerce Endpoints, you can use the String Translation page. Please search with the "WP Endpoints" domain, then you can follow our guide here https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/how-to-change-the-source-language-of-strings/ to change the source language of those strings

2- For the post categories and the product categories, you can do that by editing the taxonomy and changing the language. For example, go to Posts > Category and edit the category. In that screen, you will see a Language section, and you can select the new main language from the drop-down

3- For the Translation priorities, you can follow the same steps of the categories.

❌ Please make sure that you have a full backup before making the above changes ❌

Regards,
Mohamed

July 12, 2021 at 2:40 pm #9179125

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed, thank you for the infos. I'm debugging a bit longer this, and will get back asap.

July 12, 2021 at 3:43 pm #9179781

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,
Thanks for updating us.

Please take your time and I will be waiting for your response.

July 12, 2021 at 11:54 pm #9181163

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed,

I've managed to reset all WP Endpoints, but not the WooCommerce "No Category" category (Sin Categoria since the site was in Spanish), that I still can't make it appear in Portuguese as all others (please check Picture). I'll try tomorrow the Post Categories, lets see if I get more luck. I'll get back on every step, thank you for your patience and support.

uncategorized.jpg
July 13, 2021 at 12:11 am #9181191

Fabio Fava

Same for Categories and Translation Priorities. I just cannot make them appear in Portuguese...

July 13, 2021 at 8:40 am #9183581

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) so I can take a closer look at this issue.

– Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

July 14, 2021 at 7:38 pm #9199213

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed, I forgot to say: I'd like to get rid of all possible strings in other languages than Portuguese (Custom) I've created. Later after the site is completely functional, I'll start translating one by one the languages, by priorities. Hope you can help me getting rid of all duplicated/translation strings but the Portuguese (Pt-BR). Thanks1

July 14, 2021 at 11:45 pm #9199479

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed, I'm debugging an issue on the Theme, so I've disabled all plugins and reverted to the standard Pro theme (not my Child Theme) in order to debug this. I kindly ask you to wait until Friday to start debugging for me. Thank you so much for being awesome, cheers!

July 15, 2021 at 8:07 am #9201771

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,

I will be waiting to hear from you, so please let me know once the site is ready then I will login and check.

Cheers!

July 15, 2021 at 10:41 am #9203235

Fabio Fava

Thanks Mohamed! You can jump in, the theme issue is solved!

I'll keep looking forward from you my friend, thank you so much!