This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.31 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yuri 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Yuri.

Author Posts
August 22, 2017 at 7:31 pm #1348638

geraldC-2

Hi

I would like to know how much ressources WPML exactly uses and when/how ?

August 22, 2017 at 8:30 pm #1348683

Yuri

Hi, the exact amount of resources for WPML is a bit difficult to evaluate since there are a lot of factors involved in determining this.

As a rule of thumb if your site uses the most common extensions like WooCommerce, Yoast and Visual Builder we suggest at least 2GB of memory and a dedicated server. As soon as you start adding data to the site you need to monitor and stress test the server to make sure that there are no bottlenecks.

This is a continuous process since as you add more data and have more visitors the server resources will need to be improved.

August 22, 2017 at 9:47 pm #1348724

geraldC-2

Why do i need to set
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
in wp-config/php ?
If my server is not dedicated and locked on 96Mo PHP allocated memory, what will happen?

August 22, 2017 at 10:05 pm #1348728

Yuri

Hi, WPML will function normally but as you add more plugins, a resource-intensive theme and data/translations you might experience blank screens in the admin when translating content. These are normally memory exhaustion errors where the memory allocated to WordPress is not enough to conclude the request.

These errors may not happen just on the admin part of the site since the frontend pages of your site will also fetch the data from WPML to populate the menus, header/footer, widgets, etc...

My suggestion, if you are not sure of the load requirements of your site, is to start small but have a plan for a migration in place. Plugins like Duplicator and BackupBuddy can generate copies of your site with relative ease so if your server starts to misbehave and present bottlenecks you can quickly transfer the site to a stronger machine.