This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 8:26 am #4124953

blazZ

Hi,

I need to have primary language Slovenian, and second language English. But, I want to show english pages in the default/ root directory (hidden link), and slovenian pages in subdirectory (hidden link).

I can't find a possibility to set this in "Language URL format" / "Different languages in directories" menu. Looks like primary language is always on root. Is there a solution for this?

Best regards

July 2, 2019 at 8:40 am #4125009

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Blaz,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I understand what you'd like to do but I'm afraid that you cannot set a secondary language to be the one displayed in the default directory. The primary language is always the one that's used in the default directory.
The only thing that you can do is use language directories for both languages (/en/ and /sl/) and set the root link (hidden link) take the visitor to the Slovenian page (hidden link) when accessed. Would this be a good workaround for you?

Thanks,
Radu

July 2, 2019 at 8:55 am #4125063

blazZ

Hi,

thank you for quick answer. But if I understand right, the english page (/en) can not be redirected to root (hidden link). Because there is already slovenian language. Right?

Best regards,
Blaz

July 2, 2019 at 11:47 am #4126425

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Blaz,

I'm afraid that you cannot do this redirect of a secondary language. The root is made to display the primary language only.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Root directory for language that is not primary’ is closed to new replies.