This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
October 12, 2018 at 11:42 am

kostantinosK

I am trying to: I am using a directory for the default language and I have created a root page where the user selects his language upon first entering the website. When I am logged as admin I can perfectly see this page (see attached: results when logged in). When a new user visits my website, the root page is bypassed and instead shows my normal homepage alas with a ton of errors (see attached: errors in page.png). I have disabled cache for the root page.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Language Selection

Instead, I got: Homepage with errors

October 14, 2018 at 2:32 pm #2815466

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I can see the issue on your site. Please let me ask you the following.

After selecting and saving the option 'Use directory for default language' did you re-saved the permalinks in Settings -> Permalinks?
If not could you please do it and see if it helps?

If you disable the option 'Use directory for default language' does the homepage in English (the default language of your site) look alright?
In asking this, I'm trying to understand if the to problems are related to each other.

Also please try to see if the problem persists in a minimum environment.
I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin.
Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentyseventeen and no plugins activated but WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentyseventeen (for example).
If it persists, then turn off all plugins but the WPML and its add-ons and WooCommerce itself (leave WPML and its components active).
Then please check if the problem persists.
If it does not persists so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 16, 2018 at 7:28 am #2819947

kostantinosK

I have disabled the option 'Use directory for default language', re-saved the permalinks and cleared cache but the problem persists.

I do not have the technical capabilities to proceed with the rest of your suggestions as my website is live and I can't test it there. I was able to replicate the error on the staging website at staging.lunasplendida.com so I tried your suggestions there.

Switching to twentyseventeen theme seem to fix the problem (even without disabling any plugins). So I guess that must be it? Should I contact my theme provider? It is strange because the theme is WPML compatible.

October 16, 2018 at 12:27 pm #2820919

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thanks for testing the issue on a staging site.

You theme the Vitrine theme by EpicoMedia is officially compatible with WPML but currently in a beta mode (testing mode).
https://wpml.org/theme/vitrine/
Please make sure that you are using the latest version of this theme. I can see that Version 3.9.6 was Last tested on 01/10/18 only about two weeks ago.

On your live site I do not see the issue anymore, so maybe you have fixed things already.
Please let me know if you need more help with this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Root page bypassed – shows homepage with errors’ is closed to new replies.