This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
April 17, 2019 at 12:20 pm #3630681

ahmadE-4

I've installed WPML and I'm getting the hang of it and how it works but I don't understand how to make the arabic translation RTL rather than LTR, please help!

April 17, 2019 at 1:31 pm #3631255

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Please take a look at the tickets below as they should be all you need to know about implement an RTL translation with WPML.

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/right-to-left-support/#post-72513
- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-align-my-website-content-to-right-to-left-direction-when-toggled-to-arab/

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 17, 2019 at 1:35 pm #3631311

ahmadE-4

I translated the home page and I'm experiencing a weird thing. When I visit my site through safari browser, it appears to be RTL but most of the translation is missing. However, when I visit the site through Chrome browser, the entire translation is there but it isn't RTL, why is that? I've attached some screenshots for better demonstration. Please help, thanks!

April 17, 2019 at 3:09 pm #3632203

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

WordPress comes with RTL support out of the box (https://codex.wordpress.org/Right_to_Left_Language_Support) and the RTL feature is not something like an extra feature that WPML is offering because WordPress already offers that by default.

However, it is important that the theme that is used comes with support for RTL, too.

From what I was finding online, the developers of the theme that you are using are saying that the theme is RTL compatible.

Now, from my tests at least, I can see the same issues that you are seeing on both Chrome and Safari (so I don't see any difference between browsers) and from what I can see, some elements are correctly showing as RTL but some or not.

Now, what we need to also take into consideration is that whenever you are adding plugins into the equation (plugins like a page content builder or slideshows), they need to support RTL, too.

A test you could do is to:

1. first backup your site just for safety measures
2. then you can change the default language in WPML to be Arabic
3. and after that disable/deactivate WPML.

Now see if the issue is still the same.

This way we can find out if the issue is caused by WPML or not but my guess is that there is an incompatibility that is related to at least one of the plugins that you are using (this only if we take the theme developers word for granted).

Something else you could do to go even further with this would be to write the developers of the theme about this to see what they have to say (the theme should come with support) so maybe they have to add more info into this situation and then we can have a wider image of the current situation.

Please let me know what you will be able to find.

Kind regards,
Mihai

April 18, 2019 at 7:23 am #3636755

ahmadE-4

Alright, I've forwarded the issue to the theme developers and I'm currently waiting on their response. In the meanwhile, I've gone ahead and sat Arabic as the default language but I'm not quite sure what you meant by disabling or deactivating WPML after, how do I do that? I'm aware that I've had to install several plugins therefore I'm not sure which one to disable, awaiting your response, thank you.

April 19, 2019 at 10:41 am #3645017

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the update.

Practically I was telling you that another test that you can make is that you can first change the default language to Arabic from the WPML settings and then disable the WPML main plugin ("WPML Multilingual CMS") just so that you can check if the issue is coming from WPML or by something else.

If things react the same way while the main WPML plugin is disabled, then that might be a hint that WPML is not the one causing the issue as RTL is something the WordPress package itself offers it out of the box fully supported.

To disable the main WPML, you can simply go to your WordPress site dashboard > Plugins > find the "WPML Multilingual CMS" plugin and under the name of the plugin you should find a button called disable or deactivate.

Simply click that one.

Please let me know what answers you will get from the developers and what are you able to find out going forward.

Kind regards,
Mihai

April 21, 2019 at 10:16 am #3652061

ahmadE-4

Interesting, I just went ahead and did what you instructed and after changing the default language to arabic and disabling the main plugin, I saw no changes but right when I activated the plugin and the default language was still in Arabic, a change occurred and most of the elements went from LTR to RTL, I went ahead and changed the default language to english after that and the changes went back as it was. I've attached two videos that I recorded called RTL and LTR. The RTL file was the change that occurred after activating the main plugin + Arabic as the default language and the LTR file is when I changed the default language back to English. I think since these changes occurred, it is possible that the issue is coming from your side. However, I'm still waiting on the theme developers to get back to me and I'll keep you updated when they so but until then please let me know what you can do, thank you.

Since I couldn't upload the videos here, I've uploaded them under this link hidden link

April 22, 2019 at 4:09 pm #3656927

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Thank you for the extra information.

Yes, that sounds very strange and it seems to me that there might be a few compatibility issues present in the theme in connection with the RTL functionality.

I also watched the videos.

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do regarding this situation taking into consideration that WPML is not the one who provides the RTL functionality, but actually, WordPress comes with RTL support out of the box.

Please let me know what you will find out from the theme developers. All we can do going forward would be to have you try to replicate the same issue on a testing server of ours but as long as there is no difference when you disable WPML (as you already confirmed), that would not help us too much in any way to solve this.

Hopefully, the developers of the theme will come up with a solution.

I will be waiting for your reply as soon as you find out more.

Kind regards,
Mihai

The topic ‘[Closed] RTL’ is closed to new replies.