This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: My redirects through Safe Redirect Manager only work in one language

Solution: Disabling Safe Redirect Manager and manually redirecting the links in htaccess resolved the issue.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by saschaG 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
May 13, 2018 at 5:02 pm

saschaG

Hello 🙂

I have a homepage in two languages (German & English).

I introduce there our enterprise & have a onlinestore & crowdfunding on that page. Because of that complexity I have to redirect several adresses (almost 100 for bouth languages).

The problem is that either German redirected adresses do work but not the English ones or the other way around (depends on which one I saved the last time).

Could somebody please check in to see what could cause the conflict?

Thanks for any help.

Sascha

May 14, 2018 at 6:10 pm #2125633

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

You mentioned that you are using Safe Redirect Manager. I don't see this plugin in our list of compatible plugins: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

If you disable the safe redirect plugin and manually test adding a redirect, does the redirection work correctly? Most likely it is a compatibility issue with this particular plugin.

May 15, 2018 at 4:05 pm #2144214

saschaG

Hello Lauren

Thanks for your precious help; as a dummy-user I'm lost without support of you.

You are right, that plugin might doesn't work with WPML; I have to remove it but in your list of WPML-compatible plugins there is no redirect-tool that could help me.

I tried to make some redirection manually into the .htaccess-file like:

Redirect /unsere/produkte/ <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
Redirect /en/our/products/ <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
Redirect /praesentiert/ <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
Redirect /en/presents/ <em><u>hidden link</u></em>

They seem to work (for all languages). As said, I'm a dummy-user who isn't to good in programming (that's why I used the plugin). This manual changes are good but I also have to redirect the landing page:

German: hidden link to hidden link
English: hidden link to hidden link

but only those landing pages should be going to ".../start/" all the other adresses should work without this ".../start/".

In the plugin this was easy but I have no idea how to make that with the .htaccess-file.

It would a great help and solve all my redirect-plugin-conflicts if you could write me the correct coding.

I hope you do understand my dilemma. 🙂

Thanks for your time and great support.

Sascha

May 15, 2018 at 4:56 pm #2145085

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

It looks like currently there are not any redirect plugins that are tested and compatible with WPML. That's not to say none of them will work, just that none have been through the compatibility process. I know I have seen other tickets in the past with issues with the "Redirection" plugin, so I would not suggest that.

Per our support policy I am not able to write your custom redirect code for you, but I can point you in the right direction. Here is a great tutorial that should help you out: hidden link

May 22, 2018 at 10:24 am #2206993

saschaG

Hey Lauren

I deinstalled the redirect plugin and manipulated the .htcaccess-file as followed:

RedirectMatch "^/$" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
RedirectMatch "^/en/$" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
RedirectMatch "^/shop/$" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
RedirectMatch "^/en/shop/$" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"

Redirect "/unsere/produkte/" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
Redirect "/en/our/products/" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
Redirect "/shop/produkte/" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"
Redirect "/en/shop/products/" "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"

Now everthing works fine. 🙂