This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by samuelF-3 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 18, 2018 at 1:14 pm #2745210

samuelF-3

Hi,

We have our extensive portfolio on our UK site, but is there a way to see exactly the same content on the DE page as on the UK page? The case studies can stay in English.

Previously we have been duplicating the portfolio items for the DE site but slowly overtime they get forgotten about and now the portfolio page on the DE site is old and not matching the content on the UK page. Im looking for a simple way to have the same content on both languages.

Thanks

Sam

September 19, 2018 at 8:51 am #2747863

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

You wrote: "...Previously we have been duplicating the portfolio items for the DE site but slowly overtime they get forgotten about.."

When you say "duplicating", do you mean that these protfolios were WPML "Duplicates" of each other? Or do you mean you were manually copying the content from one language to the other?

Thanks for the clarification.

As a short answer, without knowing the answer to my question above, I would say that duplicating the portfolio page (WPML "Duplicates") would be the easiest option. But this would mean that the other text on the pages would be in DE as well.

The next best option would be to set the tranlsation options for the portfolio item to be "copy". In this way, that particular wordpress object would be synchronised with the original content each time the page is updated.

I think the best way forward is to provide a link to the page you are talking about on your system and allow me access to the dashboard to check the configuration options. I am opening the private area for this if you need to provide it.

September 19, 2018 at 10:24 am #2748327

Yvette
Supporter

To work faster: as I asked before, please provide a link to the page - otherwise I am poking around an not sure we are talking about same thing.

THanks

September 19, 2018 at 10:56 am #2748451

samuelF-3

Ah im sorry, totally forgot. hidden link

September 19, 2018 at 1:44 pm #2748971

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Just to confirm, you want the portfolio items to be duplciates in both languages? So, if I click on a portfolio picture on this page, it will take me to an English portfolio item?

ie. You do not intend to translate these portfolio items and on your site, the portfolios items will all be in English

September 24, 2018 at 1:54 pm #2760684

samuelF-3

Sorry for the late reply on this. I am waiting for confirmation from management on how we want this to work and I will get back to you shortly.

Thanks for waiting.

September 24, 2018 at 9:35 pm #2761845

Yvette
Supporter

Sure. Just respond when you have the answer so we can continue.

October 3, 2018 at 8:26 am #2783921

samuelF-3

Ok, so what we really want ideally is the following:

We want the case studies to appear exactly the same in EN on both the EN and DE sites.
We want to be able to translate 4-5 case studies that we consider 'Hero' case studies into DE too.

Is this possible,?

October 3, 2018 at 12:20 pm #2784479

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I checked your current translation option settings for the post-type and it is set to :
"Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" which is precisely the setting that should meet your needs.

If a translation exists, it will be shown...otherwise, it will show the original (e.g. EN version but with permalink base in DE) .

But what about the actual portfolio items?

When you write back, please provide a link to the example of each case and we can see how the system is currently working. I also want to make sure we are using the same terminology for the same thing/objects.

Thanks

October 8, 2018 at 8:15 am #2795080

samuelF-3

Thanks Yvette,

Ok great, so it now seems that the same portfolio items appear on the UK and DE page, can see it here: hidden link

Im getting a lot of 404 errors on the DE page when clicking portfolio items though. Why would this be?

Thanks

Sam

October 8, 2018 at 9:21 am #2795273

Yvette
Supporter

THis is related to my original quesiton
" But what about the actual portfolio items?"

The "Portfolios" should not be confused with "Portfolio Items".

Are you expecting that the portfolio ITEMS to be translated or to "appear" as translated? When I click on the item...what do you expect to happen when:
- a portfolio item is translated
- a portfolio items is not translated
- do you intend to even translate your portfolio ITEMS?

Just to be very clear. The porftofilo is a container filled with portfolio items. They might have different translation option settings and functionality.

October 8, 2018 at 9:28 am #2795284

samuelF-3

Apologies, I missed the main question.

So, the portfolio, for both UK and DE need to show the same portfolio items.

The portfolio items need to always be in English, with a .de domain, UNLESS we have decided to translate the individual portfolio item.

So what i expect to happen for each portfolio item is:
- a portfolio item is translated = It shows the DE text on the DE portfolio
- a portfolio items is not translated = Shows EN text on the DE portfolio but has the .de domain
- do you intend to even translate your portfolio ITEMS? - Yes, but only 3-4 portfolio items, not all of them.

Sam

October 8, 2018 at 7:03 pm #2797116

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I checked the items and the ones that were giving 404 errors were those items that were in the DE trash.

I emptied the trash, and now the portfolio items are behaving as you suggested. You *might* also get a 404 if a translation is existing in "draft" mode. So you might also get rid of any DE portfolio items that are in Draft mode if you do not intend to complete the translations.

Can you now check if all is ok?

October 9, 2018 at 2:30 pm #2800471

samuelF-3

Thanks Yvette. This works perfectly fine for me now. Thanks for your patience