This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 9:30 am #4399917

nozH

Hi
I've a directory website (6500+ listings)
Currently only Eng.

I want to add another language.

Is there a way to keep the Listing entries without translating nor duplicating the Listings?
Will the Search engine still reach the same data when browsing either lang site ?

thanks to advise.

August 15, 2019 at 10:01 am #4400069

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting us.
Yes, that should be possible.
There are two ways of doing it.
- By Duplication of the elements to the other language
OR
- Using the mode: "Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to the original language"
You can read more about that mode in our documentation here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

I hope that this helps you.

August 15, 2019 at 10:15 am #4400195

nozH

Hi, thanks for the reply..
basically what i want to do for the Second language , the page template would look like this:

[translated title ..]

[translated page content - manually done per page]

[search engine - for the directory listing - should pull the same Listings (EN) without duplication/translation.. it's only business name - no need for any of that ]

[ the rest of page translated - manually..]

hope this makes it clear.. and note: we need the translation mainly for SEO purposes.

thanks to confirm the method pls

August 15, 2019 at 11:46 am #4400495

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello again!
I don't think that I understand you about those listings.
I assumed that the listings are different post type elements. Depending on what are they - there are different approaches on how to make them available in other languages.
Having said that, I think that what you want is achievable, but perhaps it might require some custom coding tailored to your site and to your specifications.