Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by tylerY 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
April 30, 2014 at 12:43 pm #390964

tylerY

WPML XLIFF should be 0.9.4 allowed our translator to finally get *somewhere* with SDL Trados Studio, but it's still proving to be cumbersome to work with. Our previous issues are documented in another ticket (http://wpml.org/forums/topic/sdl-trados-studio-issues/#post-390344) but I was asked to start a new one for this particular issue.

From our translator:
"I was able to cut each sentence instead of getting the whole paragraph at once (this is probably what the WP fix was for). However, I can’t get rid of the tags
(especially this one: <br class="xliff-newline" />). When there is no tag (say a sentence in the middle of a paragraph), we can reinsert everything with minimal manual intervention, but whenever there is a tag, we need to reinsert manually (copy & paste) the tags into the translated sentence. If you look below, line 9 has not tag involved and gets reinserted easily. Line 10 has a tag that we need to reinsert."

See attached screenshot for reference.

Is there a solution to this tag problem?

Translation2.jpg
May 1, 2014 at 12:16 am #391518

Bruno

Hello,

WPML customer support service operates 18 hours per day, Monday to Friday.

Our next available supporter will answer your ticket in about 6 hours from now.

Thank you for your understanding,

WPML support team,
By OnTheGo System

May 1, 2014 at 5:23 am #391567

Dat Hoang

Hi tylerY,

I reported the problem to our developers and we will help you soon.
However, I can not make sure where this problem will be resolved.

Thank you for your understanding.

May 1, 2014 at 6:34 am #391584

Dat Hoang

Hi tylerY,

Could you send me your XLIFF files?
Please use pastebin.com for that.

Thank you.

May 1, 2014 at 5:41 pm #391915

tylerY

I'm not sure how to get you the original XLIFF sent to the translator as it was emailed to him directly via WPML and he's out of the office today. I also am not the one with the translating software so I can't open, let alone pastebin its contents for your. What I can do, however, is attach the partially-translated XLIFF file he sent back to me and the one that was likely open in that screenshot. You can grab it here: hidden link

Thanks,

Tyler

May 2, 2014 at 3:10 am #392074

Dat Hoang

Hi Tyler,

These tags should be there. Because that's the way WPML works. I explain more in the following

--------------

WPML encapsulates the entire post as a single 'translation unit'. The translation software shows each translation unit to the translator.

We really must keep the entire post as a translation unit, so that we know what to do with the completed translation. There will be separate translation units for the post and for different fields.

Often (almost always), post content will include HTML tags. These 'br' tags that you are seeing are line breaks in the text.

The translator needs to preserve these breaks in his/her work, so that the completed translation will have a similar structure to the original.

Thank you.

May 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm #401100

tylerY

Well, it's as close as it's going to get to a working solution.