This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
April 25, 2019 at 6:05 am #3678993

herbertL-2

I am trying to:find strings in the standard language german
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:search results of 'motor' or 'laufer'

Instead, I got:motor not found, laufer only one occurence, but more are ecpected

But: the search function works perfect in all other (non standard) languages!

April 25, 2019 at 12:34 pm #3682397

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1.When you executed the search from String Translation filter, did you check the option "Include Translations" (see image)?

2. Can you confirm that you have loaded the strings from all theme/plugins from the panel
WPML > Theme and plugins localization

Thanks for the clarification

May 2, 2019 at 5:21 am #3721775

herbertL-2

Sorry, I am afraid, my question was too confused and I missed to point out, that my problem is on the front end side:

In the standard language 'german' most strings are not found, some are found (e.g. "Lorem ipsum"). Examples for the FAQ-Page see screen copies.

Maybe You have a hint, how I may solve this 😉

My theme is enfold from kisi, according to your list it should be compatible to WPML.

May 2, 2019 at 5:28 am #3721877

herbertL-2

And answering Your questions: I would say YES.

May 2, 2019 at 10:09 am #3723689

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Ohhhh - I understand now. So the general wordpress search is working in all languages but German? And only for some content?

It **could** be that you are seeing the strings in the translation editor and the translation system but that these strings are not yet syncrhonised to the actual post.

The translations are written permanently to the post in the database when the translation in the Translation Editor is completed. If this has not ocurred, you may see the strings in the post in pre-view mode or on the backend admin...but the fronetned will still be accessing the database where the strings are not existing. When you use the CTE or the ATE, the strings are temporarily stored until the synch is made.

I would have to take a closer look at a specific example to see if this is the case.

Could I have access to your system to do this? Please provide a specific case and include links or post-ids so I can easily find them.

Before you respond, can you also please check that this behaviour is still happening if you change the active theme to Twenty Nineteen and deactivate your non-WPML plugins? This is just a diagnostic step to rule out any theme or plugin compatibility issues. You can reactivate everything once you check the result.

Thanks

May 2, 2019 at 11:32 am #3724131

herbertL-2

Sorry, I gave you a wrong password for FTP: take a "=" instead of the "!"

May 2, 2019 at 7:41 pm #3728869

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I connected to your site and could confirm the behaviour you describe.

Since the "search" function is also available from the URL, it was not necessary to add another button to a theme. So, I could confirm that switching to Twenty Nineteen and also deactivating all the non-WPML plugins had the same result.
e.g. hidden link

I then also deactivated WPML CMS. Executed the same search, and even with WPML deactivated, the DE page does not show up when you search for the string. So, this does not seem to be related to WPML although I cannot tell you what the problem is.

I started to examine your page and translations. You will find the various language versions of the FAQ page now have some language indicator in the title. Curiously, when I then attempted to change/save the title of the DE version, the system received many many errors. I think the problem is related to this.

In attempting to save the DE version, I then lost contact with your site. (see image) and could not continue any investigation. I am sorry for this.

You might need to ask your server support for assistance.

When you do get it back, I would ask you to do the following tests:
- Deactivate WPML, then attempt to search for the string "abcdef" by using the search button. In this case, you should be presented (if all was working well) with 4 page hits. In my experience, I did not see the AT version.

- Please also try to save the DE version of page and see if you are successful in doing this.

I wait for your news.

May 5, 2019 at 6:42 am #3741815

herbertL-2

Hello

Succeeded in writing the FAQ (DE) page. Then deactivated WPML completely. The result: search-function only finds three page-versions. No german. So it seems to be clear that WPML is NOT the reason for the troubles - You may be lucky, I may be sad ;-).

As I will migrate this site to the final destination domain when the development is finished, I decided to wait for the newly installed pages and hope there was simply a paramter mistake which may not happen twice. When the new installion reacts the same way I will have to continue my investigations....

Best regards and many thanks for your help!

May 6, 2019 at 9:16 am #3746235

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

You wrote: ".. So it seems to be clear that WPML is NOT the reason for the troubles - You may be lucky, I may be sad ;-)...."

INDEED! Thanks for the smiles.