This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 9, 2019 at 10:40 am #4536013

ninaR-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I will build a website whereby search will be the key function of the website. The website will be translated in four languages. Users should be able to filter categories. These categories will be translated in all languages. For example "Technik" as a category in german, "Technic" in english.
My question: If a post is written in german with the category "Technik", will a user on the english part of the website get this post in his search results when he filters for "Technic"?

I haven't started to build the website yet, so I can't provide you with any debug information. I hope you understand what I'd like to achieve.

September 9, 2019 at 5:08 pm #4539211

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML SUpport Forum.

WPML offers three options here.

1) Not translate
2) Translate - fallback to default language (in case a translation does not exists yet)
3) Translate - always show translated elements only

Those options can be found at WPML -> Settings -> Post Type Translation and Taxonomy Translation.

In order to translate the caterories got to WPML -> Taxonomy Translation.

Now, if a user will be on the English category page, he will by default receive search resutls in regards to exisitng English post. If you set the fallback option mentioned above WPML will display German posts, in case a English version has not be created yet.

I hope this answered your question.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 13, 2019 at 1:37 pm #4568961

ninaR-3

Thanks Andreas for your help. Just to double check: I'm talking about a search results page with a list of posts which are filtered by a category. The categories will be all translated but not all the posts. The desired behaviour would be that all posts no matter the language will be displayed when a user is filtering for a category. Is that possible with the option 2 you mentioned?

September 13, 2019 at 2:13 pm #4569301

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, go to WPML -> Taxonomy Translation to translate the category.

For the posts go to WPML -> Settings -> Taxonomy Translation -> Post Type Translation and set "posts" to be "Translate - fallback to default language (in case a translation does not exists yet)".

This way on all languages anytime a posts does not have a translation, the original post will be displayed. So of the posts exists in English and are not translated, they should show up anywhere in English.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas