Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zhimingl 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
June 19, 2020 at 10:00 am #6411071

zhimingl

Hi,
If I use Chinese search in the Chinese interface,
Then the webpage jumped to the English interface,
Where is my setting wrong?
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
What should I set to search correctly?

June 19, 2020 at 11:08 pm #6415437

Bruno

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. This usually happens when the theme is not fully compatible with WPML. You can try to solve this problem in two ways:

=> Change the URL format, from parameter to directories

- Click on the WPML > Languages > Language URL format
- Select the "Different languages in directories" option
- Click on the Save button

=> Add the language code to the search form

You can see more in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/creating-multilingual-wordpress-themes/search-form/

Following one of the steps above, the search form should work correctly. The first option is the simplest, as it does not require any code changes.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

June 20, 2020 at 6:55 pm #6418513

zhimingl

Thank you for your reply.
I want to use the first way:
If I did not select "Use directory for default language"
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
Then save it directly, you will get a 404 result
hidden link
If "Use directory for default language" is selected
hidden link
I don't know how to proceed?

thank you!

June 22, 2020 at 8:46 am #6424197

zhimingl

Hello there
Can you continue to help me? Or is there more documentation available?
Thank you

June 22, 2020 at 5:42 pm #6428797

Bruno

In Settings > Permalinks, you must define a structure other than "Default/Plain". Try to select some options like "Post name" and save the permalinks again. I will attach an image for you to see.

After following these steps, please let me know if the permalinks are working correctly.

Thank you.

June 22, 2020 at 6:07 pm #6428887

zhimingl

HI
After changing Permalinks, all the products can no longer be clicked, only the homepage of the website can be opened

hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Language URL format I also set
hidden link
thank you

thank you

June 23, 2020 at 2:36 am #6430323

Bruno

Hi,

I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

June 24, 2020 at 1:00 am #6438861

Bruno

Hi,

Thank you. As the permalink is not working on your site - probably due to the Nginx settings, you will need to follow the steps in our documentation to add language input to your theme's search field.

Within the "wp-content/themes/{theme}/inc/modules/search.php" file, I added this line:

<?php do_action( 'wpml_add_language_form_field' ); ?>

The search field is now working in both languages. Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

June 24, 2020 at 12:15 pm #6443977

zhimingl

Hi,
Thanks for your help, the search is now normal.
But I still have a question,
Because many plugins do not allow to use the default permalinks,
hidden link
hidden link
If I choose something like Post name,
hidden link
Then I click on any product to be 404
hidden link
I do not know if this is related to wplm?

June 24, 2020 at 6:35 pm #6447113

Bruno

Hi,

This is not related to WPML. This is probably related to the configuration of your server, which does not allow you to use URLs with the post name.

You should contact your host and ask them to configure the server to allow friendly URLs. When this setting is working correctly, it will work in both languages, including the default language.

Thank you.

June 24, 2020 at 8:57 pm #6447771

zhimingl

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!