This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
April 22, 2019 at 8:21 pm #3658119

Shivani Verma

Hello,

I had previously created a ticket that closed automatically regarding this issue, and we still have not yet found a solution for why updating to WPML version 4.2.5 created huge performance lags on our live site, and started throwing 502 errors; thus we had to revert back to version 4.0.8 for it to be stable.

I am willing to have someone look at a copy of our site on our servers to investigate; the problem is not easily visible on development environments, but on our production environment which has a lot of traffic, the response times weren't acceptable (skyrocketing to somewhere around 20 seconds). When testing and disabling / enabling certain plugins, we found WPML was the cause.

Can you help us debug what is creating such huge performance issues?

Thank you,
Nathan

April 23, 2019 at 12:49 am #3658877

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

i was able to review your previous ticket to get an idea of the current issue.

I know at the time of the ticket you experienced the issue updating from 4.0.8 to 4.2.4, is the performance issue still present with the latest version of WPML ?

you currently are not using WPML String Translation correct ? and you have reviewed the following documentation (according to original thread)
- > https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

if both of the above check out then the next step would be to try and replicate the performance issues on our servers to further debug the issue

to do this we usually use Cloudways to migrate the site to our Cloudways enviroment

also please provide me with the way that you are currently performing your tests and queries so we can use the same tests.

Lastly here you can find our change-log which lists all changes made in our plugin
https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

April 23, 2019 at 4:38 pm #3666265

Shivani Verma

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes correct, I've reviewed the performance docs above and we aren't using WPML string translations.

Would it be okay for us to set up a copy of the site on our own servers, and give admin access, or would you not be able to do performance profiling otherwise? We do have New Relic set up. The company has certain security policies and I'll have to find out if it we could give you access to that.

As for how we are currently testing, we have New Relic which monitors back end performance, and as you probably saw in the previous ticket, there was a clear and dramatic rise in response time after the plugin update. In production it jumped around 10x our normal response time, and dropped back to normal after reverting the update.

Also, if I find we can send you a copy of the site (most likely at best a partial copy), how would we transfer the files?

Thanks,
Nathan

April 23, 2019 at 5:33 pm #3666529

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi Nathan,

if you could set up a copy of the site that would be great as we could at least get an inside look at whats going on but there is a chance our developers might want to replicate the issue on a local enviroment or our cloudways servers

the cloudways servers is quite easy as we can just use their migration plugin from your side and migrate it seamlessly otherwise we can use duplicator plugin to create a snapshot and share these files with us through a private field here

i have enabled your next reply to be a private one if you would like to share the copy of the site so we can take a closer look

The topic ‘[Closed] Seeing 502 errors on live site after updating’ is closed to new replies.