This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
April 8, 2020 at 4:38 am #5862459

han-suC

How can we send blog category and woocommerce product category (archive) pages to the translation management tool so we can get translators to translate them?

April 8, 2020 at 6:58 am #5862897

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Please follow the below steps to fix the issue:

- Go to WPML->Settings->Multilingual content setup
- Go to How to translate posts and pages -> Taxonomies and uncheck "Don't include already translated terms in the translation editor"
- Now create a new post and add the category and send it to translation, it will be available for translations.
- When an update is necessary, you can resend a post that already has the category to translations (make sure you update the post before sending so the category is updated to the latest changes)

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

April 9, 2020 at 2:38 am #5871005

han-suC

Hi Shekhar.

I followed the instructions you provided above, but it did not solve the issue.

When I uncheck that box, the taxonomy (Post / Product Category) name field now appears in the translation editor for translation which is good. However a strange field "Optional" is now included in the editor (see screenshot).

The main issue that still remains is that the taxonomy (Post / Product Category) description field is still missing so the translator does not see it and is not able to translate it.

Please advise what I need to do to fix this as the current situation is useless to me as I do not speak these languages so need to send it to a translator...

Thanks in advance for your help.

April 9, 2020 at 3:45 am #5871477

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

The main issue that still remains is that the taxonomy (Post / Product Category) description field is still missing so the translator does not see it and is not able to translate it.

You can see taxonomy in the post so translators can translate it now, where are you still able to see the issue? I checked them and they are working properly for me. The new once as well as updates.

Regarding the optional fields, copy it as it is.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks

April 9, 2020 at 4:52 am #5871707

han-suC

Adding an update to this thread for anyone else who finds this in future. Hope this will save you some time.

Having chatted further with Shekhar in a separate live chat the outcome is that its not possible with WPML. If you want to translate taxonomies (Post / Product Categories and Tags), then you need to manually do it yourself in WPML->Taxonomy Translation. There is no way to use Translation Management and send these to 3rd party translators.

To be clear you can translate the "Name" of the category or tag using Shekhar's instruction above, but not the "Description" which is the main content of those pages.

I am waiting to hear back from 2nd tier support as to what priority they are putting on this "Feature Request". However, as I have seen threads on this forum going back years, I assume it is not high on their list.

I therefore urge you to go to this link and submit a - Feature Request - to try and get their attention so they will add this missing functionality to WPML.

https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

April 9, 2020 at 10:41 am #5875111

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for adding the details here.

Since we are discussing the issue in a separate ticket, I will request you to mark the ticket as resolved.

Thanks