This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 52 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by myraD-2 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
March 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm #5798895

myraD-2

Hi, I just installed WPML. I have a website (WP + woocommerce). It's been online since 2018 in french. I want to traslate it in english.

I am not a developper, I'm learning as I go.

I have an issue: my website's look/customisations don't appear in english. It's the original template. Why? What Can I do?

See the difference:

March 31, 2020 at 8:53 pm #5807983

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

Please go to your theme options and use the top header language switcher, and switch to the secondary language. (Make sure to open it in a new tab)

Once it's in a new tab compare the Default language and Translation language options within theme options.

- Do you notice any differences in styling?

Also, try the following:

1. Go to pages
2. Edit your Home page and select "Duplicate"
3. What are your results when the page is Duplicated? Does the styling remain?

April 3, 2020 at 1:55 am #5827435

myraD-2

Thank you bobby

I deactivated wpml for now because I need to find out hiw to set up the url and permalinks without generating major broken links. I reinstalled my back up and will start over.

1- to answer your question I noticed the ui issue when I would switch to wnglish and visualise the translated page.

2- when I Begin the installation. What do I have to do to have this kibd of url structure:

hidden link and raisonetgourmandise.com/en

?

Do you habe a step by step guide to help me?

April 3, 2020 at 9:06 pm #5835587

Bobby
Supporter

Once the installation and configuration of WPML is done go to WPML->languages->Language URL Format and select Different languages in directories

Then go to WP->Permalinks and make sure your permalink structure is set to anything but default, with WPML it is not advised to use the default permalink structure.

Let me know your results, please.

Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

April 5, 2020 at 3:28 pm #5842251

myraD-2

Hi Bobby,

I reinstalled WPML and did as you said:
>languages->Language URL Format and select Different languages in directories

Then go to WP->Permalinks and make sure your permalink structure is set to anything but default, with WPML it is not advised to use the default permalink structure

BUT,

I still have the styling issue.

I translated a categorie page (beacause it's quick to do in order to invetigate bogs right away). When I used the header switcher language and I did open new windows to compare. I still end up with a translated page that is built within the orginal template (not my actual style).

April 5, 2020 at 3:38 pm #5842311

myraD-2

Also, does it have to do with this? What shall I enter here??

April 6, 2020 at 11:48 pm #5852439

Bobby
Supporter

No, you can leave that blank, what I believe is happening here is that your theme's styling is not copied over to the translations.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

April 8, 2020 at 1:09 am #5861393

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

The theme's custom fields were set to "Do not translate".

Within the edit page under Multilingual Custom Fields => View system fields, I switched them from "Do not translate" to "copy" as these fields are responsible for the styling.

It should show as expected now hidden link

Let me know your results, please.

NOTE: Go to pages->Edit the default language->Use the language switcher in the header and switch to Englis [dismiss the warning], this way you can access the page builder view in the backend and change any settings to be different if you wish.

April 8, 2020 at 9:31 am #5864333

myraD-2

Hello Bobby,

thank you for investigating. I see a difference on the home page although the fonts are not the same in english nor the background color of the dropdown menu. It's as if some of the CSS doesn't apply in english.

ALSO, I have translated my category pages and none of the styling nor the content appears when I switch language. See screen captures please.

This web site is a template. I changed lots of the styling and added lots of CSS. All of the recipe content is coded within the template I purchased (not simple gutenberg stylible pages)

Can you see what's the issue?

April 8, 2020 at 5:40 pm #5868699

Bobby
Supporter

It looks like your theme allows you to add different CSS and styling in each language.

Meaning that if you add CSS in one language you need to apply to the translation as well.

Where are you adding your custom CSS?

April 8, 2020 at 6:01 pm #5868809

myraD-2

Ok ill copy paste my css

But why is the english version of my category pages completely invisible? I don't see the text. Is it because i did not translate the affiliated recipes yet?

April 8, 2020 at 6:05 pm #5868813

myraD-2

Hi again

Please see my previous message also

Another question: can I translate these words directly within wpml? See screen captures

April 8, 2020 at 6:40 pm #5869237

Bobby
Supporter

What are your results, if you translate your affiliated recipes? The categories and content need to be both translated. You can also quickly duplicate your recipes for the time being if you want to test it.

Let me know your results.

Regarding these strings, please go to WPML->String Translation, search for them and let me know if you can find them and translate them.

Usually such strings can be translated from within the String Translation dahsboard.

April 9, 2020 at 10:22 pm #5879703

myraD-2

Hi Bobby,

Could help me with this slug please. I know some slugs or permalinks were in englush by default ever since I created my site even if the site is in french. I notice all my single recipe pages have the slug ''recipe''

Should I changed the original language for the recipe slug? What should I do and in what order to make sure I don't end up with tons of 404s and losing major SEO efforts?

See screen captures, thanks!

April 10, 2020 at 1:03 am #5880003

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

If you want to translate the slug then yes you can change the default language as seen in your screenshot and then translate the slug, but if you want to leave it as recipes in both languages it should be ok to leave it as it is.