This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
February 19, 2019 at 10:16 am #3215887

mantasL

Hello,

I'm looking for an SEO advice:

1. I've only partially translated some of my posts - 100 words has been translated, while 500 words left in the original language - so most of it is still a duplicate content, so I set Yoast to Noindex those 'partially translated' posts. I'm afraid that it might hurt my SEO if I let these posts get indexed, what do you think? What would you do? I could also remove 500 words of duplicate content, but then I would be left with only 100 words of content, which is probably also risky from SEO perspective, as it might look as "thin content" with a couple of affiliate links.

2. I want to make a completely different homepage for a secondary language. Does that make sense from SEO perspective, since it will be pointing (canonical tag) to original home page? And as I understand there is no way to make it as homepage unless I connect it to the original homepage?

Thanks,
Mantas

February 20, 2019 at 11:34 am #3221324

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1)
To be frank, that's hardly a WPML problem.
The solution there is "do not duplicate the words. translate it completely or remove it.
This is indeed totally out of the scope of our support or even WPML related.
Anyhow, it's all about displaying contents in your site. SO you have to check this with your SEO team.

2)
If there are two different homepages for two different languages, these will be treated like two different pages. So it's good for SEO.
This is also you have to check with your team.
Anyhow, if you are asking about connecting translation to the original homepage, this is how WPML works. You must have a translation of a original page to interconnect them as original-translation. This happens automatically.
otherwise, how the systems is going to understand the translation and homepage?
This is fine in SEO perspective as well.
No need to worry about this if this is a translation.

Regards,
Riffaz.

The topic ‘[Closed] SEO advice needed regarding Noindex'ing duplicate posts’ is closed to new replies.